Subject: bug#73387: 30.0.90; C-x v v in diff-mode doesn't work after C-c C-n

From: Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 01 Oct 2024 18:51:58 +0300

> From: Sean Whitton <[email-masked]>
> Cc: [email-masked],  [email-masked],  [email-masked],
>   [email-masked]
> Date: Tue, 01 Oct 2024 08:50:43 +0800
> 
> Hello,
> 
> On Mon 30 Sep 2024 at 05:15pm +03, Eli Zaretskii wrote:
> 
> >> +Delete all hunks other than the current hunk.  If the region is active,
> >> +then delete all hunks other than those the region overlaps.
> >
> > We usually describe what happens when the region is active, then what
> > happens "otherwise".
> 
> I think in the case of this command it's better to describe the
> region-inactive case first.

I don't see why.

I can explain the rationale for doing the opposite: when describing
the operation with active region, we usually start with "If the region
is active..." or with some other similar conditional language.  This
then makes it natural to explain the behavior in the other cases,
because the active-region one is clearly conditional, and thus not the
general case.

By contrast, your text starts with the description of behavior that
has no conditions, and thus is perceived as the complete and
exhaustive.  Then the next sentence is "out of the blue" because the
reader does not expect any such additions, being just told what the
command does, period.