Subject: Re: bug#73363: 30.0.91; CJK Font Rendering Behavior Changed

From: Robert Pluim <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 20 Sep 2024 14:24:11 +0200

>>>>> On Fri, 20 Sep 2024 20:08:10 +0800, Po Lu via "Bug reports for GNU Emacs, the Swiss army knife of text editors" <[email-masked]> said:
    >> Some of our font backends (sfntfont, at least, and perhaps macfont in
    >> this case) will return different registries from that which was
    >> specified in the font spec when enumerating font entities, in order to
    >> enable font specs requesting an ASCII charset also to match fonts with
    >> Unicode as the charset.  If cached, these font entities will be
    >> repeatedly rejected in font_find_for_lface after being opened, with
    >> obvious consequences for performance.

    Po Lu> I forgot to mention that sometimes no charset can be derived before the
    Po Lu> font object is opened, and in these situations it is best not to cache
    Po Lu> these font objects at all, if a registry should be specified in the
    Po Lu> spec, for similar reasons.

These are the fonts which are being rejected on macOS for me. And yet
PingFang SC seems to work ok.

strangeness detected: spec:’#<font-spec nil nil nil nil gb2312.1980-0 nil nil nil nil nil nil nil nil>’ font:’#<font-object -*-PingFang SC-regular-normal-normal-*-12-*-*-*-p-0-iso10646-1>’
strangeness detected: spec:’#<font-spec nil nil nil nil jisx0208*-* nil nil nil nil nil nil nil nil>’ font:’#<font-object -*-Hiragino Sans-regular-normal-normal-*-12-*-*-*-p-0-iso10646-1>’
strangeness detected: spec:’#<font-spec nil nil nil nil jisx0212*-* nil nil nil nil nil nil nil nil>’ font:’#<font-object -*-PingFang SC-regular-normal-normal-*-12-*-*-*-p-0-iso10646-1>’
strangeness detected: spec:’#<font-spec nil nil nil nil big5*-* nil nil nil nil nil nil nil nil>’ font:’#<font-object -*-PingFang TC-regular-normal-normal-*-12-*-*-*-p-0-iso10646-1>’
strangeness detected: spec:’#<font-spec nil nil nil nil ksc5601.1987*-* nil nil nil nil nil nil nil nil>’ font:’#<font-object -*-Apple SD Gothic Neo-regular-normal-normal-*-12-*-*-*-p-0-iso10646-1>’
strangeness detected: spec:’#<font-spec nil nil nil nil cns11643.1992-1 nil nil nil nil nil nil nil nil>’ font:’#<font-object -*-PingFang TC-regular-normal-normal-*-12-*-*-*-p-0-iso10646-1>’
strangeness detected: spec:’#<font-spec nil nil nil nil cns11643.1992-2 nil nil nil nil nil nil nil nil>’ font:’#<font-object -*-PingFang SC-regular-normal-normal-*-12-*-*-*-p-0-iso10646-1>’
strangeness detected: spec:’#<font-spec nil nil nil nil cns11643.1992-3 nil nil nil nil nil nil nil nil>’ font:’#<font-object -*-PingFang HK-regular-normal-normal-*-12-*-*-*-p-0-iso10646-1>’
strangeness detected: spec:’#<font-spec nil nil nil nil gbk-0 nil nil nil nil nil nil nil nil>’ font:’#<font-object -*-PingFang SC-regular-normal-normal-*-12-*-*-*-p-0-iso10646-1>’
strangeness detected: spec:’#<font-spec nil nil nil nil jisx0213.2000-1 nil nil nil nil nil nil nil nil>’ font:’#<font-object -*-Hiragino Sans-regular-normal-normal-*-12-*-*-*-p-0-iso10646-1>’
strangeness detected: spec:’#<font-spec nil nil nil nil jisx0213.2000-2 nil nil nil nil nil nil nil nil>’ font:’#<font-object -*-PingFang SC-regular-normal-normal-*-12-*-*-*-p-0-iso10646-1>’
strangeness detected: spec:’#<font-spec nil nil nil nil jisx0213.2004-1 nil nil nil nil nil nil nil nil>’ font:’#<font-object -*-PingFang HK-regular-normal-normal-*-12-*-*-*-p-0-iso10646-1>’

Robert
--