Subject: bug#73357: [PATCH] Make vc-clone interactive

From: Sean Whitton <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 24 Oct 2024 19:26:19 +0800

Hello,

On Thu 24 Oct 2024 at 10:43am GMT, Philip Kaludercic wrote:

> Aleksandr Vityazev <[email-masked]> writes:
>
> [...]
>
>>>> V4 patches:
>>>
>>> Thanks.
>>>
>>> Dmitry, any comments, or should I install this?
>>
>> Just a gentle ping, any news on this bug?
>
> FWIW as the vc-clone author, I think we can apply it, but Dmitry is the
> VC maintainer so he should have the last word.

I'm the new VC maintainer.

Aleksandr, thank you for this.  Some comments on v4:

- The commit message of the first patch doesn't completely follow the
  guidelines in CONTRIBUTE.  I think M-q will fix it.

  - I also find the ... thing hard to read because it's separated by
    other changes.  Would you mind just writing out the changes twice?

- vc-heuristic-alist should probaby have ':version 31.1'

- Inserting vc-guess-backend right at the top doesn't seem right.  There
  is already a section "Code for deducing what fileset and backend to
  assume".

- I think that vc-guess-backend should be called vc-guess-url-backend or
  similar.  'vc-guess-backend' is too generic.

- I'm not really convinced by the OPEN-DIR argument.  You specifically
  say that it's for scripting purposes, but then, the script can just
  call find-file :)  Is there some reason why it's better as an
  argument?

-- 
Sean Whitton