Subject: Re: [PATCH] {maint} Fix a bug in variable concatanation with `+='.

From: Stefano Lattarini <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 7 Nov 2010 15:26:52 +0100

On Sunday 07 November 2010, Ralf Wildenhues wrote:
> Hello Stefano, Andy,
> 
> * Stefano Lattarini wrote on Sat, Nov 06, 2010 at 06:10:44PM CET:
> > On Friday 05 November 2010, Stefano Lattarini wrote: 
> > > I can confirm the bug with latest automake (from git master), with
> > > a much-reduced minimal testcase (see attachment).
> > > 
> > > I still haven't looked for an explanation or a fix, though.
> > I've manged to find a very simple fix for the bug (see attached patch).
> > 
> > OK to apply to maint?
> 
> OK if it passes the whole testsuite.
It does for me.  BTW, I've also squashed a minor typofix in the new
test's comments, and a better ChangeLog entry:

   Fix a bug in variable concatanation with `+='.
   * lib/Automake/VarDef.pm (append): Since the content of the
   "appended-to" variable is going to be unconditionally normalized
   later, simply separate the appended value with a single whitespace
   character, instead of trying to be uselesssly smarter by using
   escaped newlines.  This fixes a bug in which extra backslashes
   where erroneously inserted in the variable's final value.
   * tests/pluseq11.test: New test, exposing the bug.
   * tests/Makefile.am (TESTS): Update.
   Reported by Andy Wingo.

Now, should I also try to close the bug #7333 on debbugs?
The instruction at <http://debbugs.gnu.org/Developer.html> seems
quite clear about how to do so, so I think I can manage to get it
right.

BTW, Ouch!  I see that my previous reply presenting the patch
has erroneously opended a new, spurious bug report (#7345) in
the tracker!  Ralf, could you please you close that report as
invalid?

Regards,
   Stefano