Subject: Re: bug#73320: [PATCH] project--vc-list-files: use Git's sparse-index

From: Jim Porter <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 6 Oct 2024 17:41:11 -0700

On 10/4/2024 2:25 PM, Dmitry Gutov wrote:
> Hi Michael, Eli,
> 
> On 04/10/2024 10:48, Michael Albinus wrote:
> 
>>> It could use some review, though. There aren't many examples of doing
>>> that in Emacs code.
>> In Eshell, Jim Porter makes extensive use of connection-local
>> variables. He has also added some functions which are useful (not
>> applied in Tramp yet).
> 
> Yep, Eshell seems to be have been the only other client of 
> connection-local, until now. I was wondering whether setting a unique 
> application name is the recommended pattern, though.

If I remember things correctly, I think using ":application eshell" was 
a suggestion from Michael Albinus. (I don't think I'd have come up with 
the idea on my own, since I didn't know much about connection-local 
variables at the time.)

However, I think can be a good move to use a unique application name 
when it makes sense because it reduces the chance of conflicts. For 
example, in a future version of Eshell, I might make 
'process-environment' connection-local for ":application eshell" (it's a 
long story). This would let users change remote env vars in Eshell 
freely without interfering with the ":application tramp" remote env 
vars, which would get used in other cases (e.g. when opening a remote 
file or using M-x shell remotely).