Subject: Re: bug#73313: Hash mismatch for jpegsrc

From: Tobias Geerinckx-Rice <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 17 Sep 2024 14:53:51 +0200

Hi Marcel,

On 2024-09-17 12:15, Marcel van der Boom wrote:
> -sha256 hash mismatch for
> /gnu/store/53j9996hdgnmhgzswjjggdz9wnv29p5b-jpegsrc.v9d.tar.gz:
>   expected hash: 0clwys9lcqlxqgcw8s1gwfm5ix2zjlqpklmd3mbvqmj5ibj51jwr
>   actual hash:   0spshb0126m70xpgkqwxic8rw1z6ywlrv2kfx3h37ibczfnac0r3

Thank you for reporting this!  Fixed in commit b1a102d[0].

Also thanks for submitting a patch.  However, would I have seen it in 
the commit log I'd probably have raised a stink :-)

Upstream hash mismatches should be rare and treated with some suspicion. 
  The hash wasn't *incorrect* (hence, not a ‘fix’) when libjpeg was 
packaged—it was *changed*.

I think it's our responsibility to log these changes in the commit log, 
even though they are benign.

Well, obviously they are benign.  We'd probably not commit them if they 
weren't.

Probably.

Closing,

T G-R

[0]: 
https://git.savannah.gnu.org/cgit/guix.git/commit/?id=b1a102d3a5b26d13f81b7102fa492fbab8f111ce

Sent from a Web browser.  Excuse or enjoy my brevity.