Subject: bug#73308: [PATCH] Add file-to-register and buffer-to-register.

From: Barra Ó Catháin <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 18 Sep 2024 03:51:47 +0100

Perhaps the easiest way to demonstrate the differences I saw in their
usage is to explain why I chose to wrote them and not use
point-to-register:

I use buffer-to-register when I'm working with lots of different buffers
but I don't wish to disturb the point when switching back to them. For
example, running long commands in a shell window or even just different
files that I'm bouncing between, rather than dancing with switching
buffers through one of the other means. 

I use file-to-register to pre-load notes files into registers on
startup. It visually makes more sense to read in an init-file. Frankly,
in interactive use I haven't found a real use for file-to-register, but
I also saw no reason not to bind it. I think the main benefit to this is
discoverability. 

Let me know if I can clarify anything for you further with this.
-----
Barra

Michael Heerdegen <[email-masked]> writes:

> Thierry Volpiatto <[email-masked]> writes:
>
>> More or less you can have the same with point-to-register, the advantage
>> is that when you kill the buffer, the register-alist entry is turned in
>> a file-query entry (when buffer is representing a file of course), for
>> example from register.el buffer:
>>
>> C-x r <SPC> RET
>
> I'm worrying a bit: with this patch we would have 3 different types of
> registers that would really be very similar.  The user would have to
> think about which is appropriate when setting the register.  Or - if the
> question doesn't matter - why have 3 different types?
>
>
> Michael.