Subject: Re: bug#73304: Python in relocatable guix pack leads to wrong sys.path

From: Konrad Hinsen <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 06 Oct 2024 10:29:22 +0200

Konrad Hinsen <[email-masked]> writes:

> I have changed my mind. In the sys.path outputs shown, there are no
> paths from add-on packages. It's just the Python standard library.
> Maybe our sitecustomize.py is not run at all, but if it is, it didn't do
> anything to sys.path. There must be a bug somewhere else.

Our sitecustomize.py is indeed not run at all, so this definitely is a
different problem.

Evidence: Run Rutherther's example, adding the -v option.  The long
output is attached, both for "./profile/bin/python3 -v" and "$(realpath
./profile/bin/python3) -v". Search for "site-packages" to find the
interesting parts. If you don't use realpath, large parts of the
initialization are not done.

There are lots of ../../ in the path shown in these log files. If Python
resolves them lexically, as the normpath function does, that would
probably explain most of these issues.

Cheers,
  Konrad.