Subject: bug#73303: 30.0.91; Native compiler repeatedly interrupts at random moments

From: Andrea Corallo <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 24 Sep 2024 15:13:29 -0400

"N. Jackson" <[email-masked]> writes:

> At 18:46 +0000 on Tuesday 2024-09-17, Philip Kaludercic wrote:
>
>> Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]> writes:
>>
>>>> 2. When the package system installs/updates a package, does it
>>>> natively compile the files at the same time as it byte compiles
>>>> them?
>>>
>>> I'm not sure, but I think it doesn't.  Philip, can you answer that?
>>
>> My understanding: Native compilation build on byte-compilation,
>> and all packages are byte-compiled.  If `package-native-compile'
>> is enabled (which is not the case by default), then the package is
>> immediately compiled using native-compilation as well.  This
>> applies both to installing packages and upgrading them.
>
> Shouldn't this be on by default now that native compilation is
> enabled by default?

I don't think so, this setting is in agreement with the default Emacs
behaviour of native compiling on demand only code which is actually
loaded (and executed).

  Andrea