Subject: Re: bug#73303: 30.0.91; Native compiler repeatedly interrupts at random moments

From: "N. Jackson" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 17 Sep 2024 19:09:03 +0000

At 18:46 +0000 on Tuesday 2024-09-17, Philip Kaludercic wrote:

> Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]> writes:
>
>>> 2. When the package system installs/updates a package, does it
>>> natively compile the files at the same time as it byte compiles
>>> them?
>>
>> I'm not sure, but I think it doesn't.  Philip, can you answer that?
>
> My understanding: Native compilation build on byte-compilation,
> and all packages are byte-compiled.  If `package-native-compile'
> is enabled (which is not the case by default), then the package is
> immediately compiled using native-compilation as well.  This
> applies both to installing packages and upgrading them.

Shouldn't this be on by default now that native compilation is
enabled by default?  After all, if Emacs is going to be byte
compiling the files anyway, it might as well native compile them at
the same time and get any issues out of the way while the user's
mind is in working-with-packages mode.

> I don't know if the native compiler will detect .elc files
> automatically and compile them at some later point.

When they are loaded, presumably?