Subject: bug#7330: closed (Re: bug#7330: 24.0.50; Gnus: Symbol's function definition is void)

From: [email-masked] (GNU bug Tracking System)
Date: Fri, 05 Nov 2010 17:44:02 +0000

Your bug report

#7330: 24.0.50; Gnus: Symbol's function definition is void

which was filed against the emacs,gnus package, has been closed.

The explanation is attached below, along with your original report.
If you require more details, please reply to [email-masked].

-- 
7330: http://debbugs.gnu.org/cgi/bugreport.cgi?bug=7330
GNU Bug Tracking System
Contact [email-masked] with problems

Subject: Re: bug#7330: 24.0.50; Gnus: Symbol's function definition is void
From: Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen <[email-masked]>
To: Rares Vernica <[email-masked]>
Cc: [email-masked], [email-masked]
Date: Fri, 05 Nov 2010 18:46:06 +0100
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

Then I'm closing this bug report.

-- 
(domestic pets only, the antidote for overdose, milk.)
  [email-masked] * Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen

Subject: 24.0.50; Gnus: Symbol's function definition is void
From: Rares Vernica <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Date: Thu, 04 Nov 2010 14:59:14 -0700
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

Hello,

I updated to the latest emacs version from bzr on November 4. I compiled
it and it seems to work fine except for Gnus. I get an error when I try
to open any of the Gnus groups.

M-x emacs-version:
GNU Emacs 24.0.50.1 (sparc-sun-solaris2.10, X toolkit) of 2010-11-04

I open Gnus and it checks for new emails. Everything works fine and all
the groups are displayed. When I try to enter a group I get the flowing
error message:

insert: Symbol's function definition is void: gnus-user-format-function-b

M-x toggle-debug-on-error:

Debugger entered--Lisp error: (void-function gnus-user-format-function-b)
  (gnus-user-format-function-b gnus-tmp-header)
  (insert (gnus-user-format-function-b gnus-tmp-header) gnus-tmp-unread gnus-tmp-replied gnus-tmp-score-char gnus-tmp-indentation)
  (progn (insert (gnus-user-format-function-b gnus-tmp-header) gnus-tmp-unread gnus-tmp-replied gnus-tmp-score-char gnus-tmp-indentation) (gnus-put-text-property (point) (progn (insert (format "%c%4s: %-20s%c" gnus-tmp-opening-bracket gnus-tmp-lines (let* ((val ...) (need ...)) (if (> need 0) (concat nil val ...) val)) gnus-tmp-closing-bracket)) (point)) gnus-mouse-face-prop gnus-mouse-face) (insert " " gnus-tmp-subject-or-nil "\n"))
  eval((progn (insert (gnus-user-format-function-b gnus-tmp-header) gnus-tmp-unread gnus-tmp-replied gnus-tmp-score-char gnus-tmp-indentation) (gnus-put-text-property (point) (progn (insert (format "%c%4s: %-20s%c" gnus-tmp-opening-bracket gnus-tmp-lines (let* ((val ...) (need ...)) (if (> need 0) (concat nil val ...) val)) gnus-tmp-closing-bracket)) (point)) gnus-mouse-face-prop gnus-mouse-face) (insert " " gnus-tmp-subject-or-nil "\n")))
  gnus-summary-prepare-threads((([ ... emails list ... ])))
  gnus-summary-prepare()
  gnus-summary-read-group-1("nndraft:drafts" nil t nil nil nil)
  gnus-summary-read-group("nndraft:drafts" nil t nil nil nil nil)
  gnus-group-read-group(nil t)
  gnus-group-select-group(nil)
  call-interactively(gnus-group-select-group nil nil)

This might also be related. If I have BBDB enabled I get the following
error message when Gnus starts:

Symbol's function definition is void: bbdb-insinuate-gnus

I had to disable BBDB in order to get emacs to load.

Thanks,
Rares