Subject: “guix shell --pure“displays twice the same warning

From: Simon Tournier <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 16 Sep 2024 10:01:54 +0200

Hi,

--8<---------------cut here---------------start------------->8---
$ guix shell --pure
guix shell: warning: no packages specified; creating an empty environment
guix shell: warning: no packages specified; creating an empty environment
--8<---------------cut here---------------end--------------->8---

That’s because: one is from ’auto-detect-manifest’ in (guix scripts
shell):

  (if (or (not interactive?)
          disallow-implicit-load?
          (options-contain-payload? opts))
      opts
      (match (find-file-in-parent-directories '("manifest.scm" "guix.scm"))
        (#f
         (warning (G_ "no packages specified; creating an empty environment~%"))
         opts)

called by ’parse-args’ called by the entry-point command ’guix-sell’.

And another one is from ’guix-environment*’ in (guix scripts
environment):

        (when (null? (manifest-entries manifest))
          (warning (G_ "no packages specified; creating an empty environment~%")))

called by the entry-point command ’guix-shell’.

Well, since ‘guix environment’ is deprecated, I would suggest to remove
the warning in ’guix-environment*’.  It would improve the “polish”.

Cheers,
simon

Reported by @[email-masked] from Mastodon. :-)