Subject: bug#73291: 31.0.50; `clean-buffer-list' activates `midnight-mode'

From: Manuel Giraud <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 16 Sep 2024 09:49:43 +0200

Hi,

It seems that calling `clean-buffer-list' once activates
`midnight-mode'.  How to reproduce it:

    - emacs -Q
    - Open some buffers
    - M-x clean-buffer-list ;; Obviously not much buffers are killed
    - Wait one day and go into your emacs window
    - In the *Messages* buffer, you can see that cleaning occured
      recently

I think that one call to `clean-buffer-list' should only clean the
buffer list once.  The documentation does not seem to imply otherwise.

Best regards,

In GNU Emacs 31.0.50 (build 30, x86_64-unknown-openbsd7.6) of 2024-09-15
 built on computer
Repository revision: 2cd5774689f96522709250b7805370522dcd4334
Repository branch: master
Windowing system distributor 'The X.Org Foundation', version 11.0.12101013
System Description: OpenBSD computer 7.6 GENERIC.MP#312 amd64

Configured using:
 'configure CC=egcc CPPFLAGS=-I/usr/local/include
 LDFLAGS=-L/usr/local/lib MAKEINFO=gmakeinfo --prefix=/home/manuel/emacs
 --bindir=/home/manuel/bin --with-x-toolkit=no --without-cairo
 --without-compress-install'

Configured features:
DBUS FREETYPE GIF GLIB GMP GNUTLS GSETTINGS HARFBUZZ JPEG LCMS2 LIBOTF
LIBXML2 MODULES NOTIFY KQUEUE OLDXMENU PDUMPER PNG RSVG SQLITE3 THREADS
TIFF TREE_SITTER WEBP X11 XDBE XFT XIM XINPUT2 XPM ZLIB

Important settings:
  value of $LC_CTYPE: en_US.UTF-8
  locale-coding-system: utf-8-unix

Major mode: Group

Minor modes in effect:
  gnus-topic-mode: t
  display-time-mode: t
  display-battery-mode: t
  desktop-save-mode: t
  exwm-randr-mode: t
  server-mode: t
  gnus-undo-mode: t
  electric-pair-mode: t
  override-global-mode: t
  repeat-mode: t
  global-eldoc-mode: t
  show-paren-mode: t
  electric-indent-mode: t
  mouse-wheel-mode: t
  menu-bar-mode: t
  file-name-shadow-mode: t
  global-font-lock-mode: t
  font-lock-mode: t
  blink-cursor-mode: t
  minibuffer-regexp-mode: t
  buffer-read-only: t
  line-number-mode: t
  indent-tabs-mode: t
  transient-mark-mode: t
  auto-composition-mode: t
  auto-encryption-mode: t
  auto-compression-mode: t

Load-path shadows:
/home/manuel/prog/elisp/exwm/exwm-randr hides /home/manuel/.emacs.d/elpa/exwm-0.31/exwm-randr
/home/manuel/prog/elisp/exwm/exwm hides /home/manuel/.emacs.d/elpa/exwm-0.31/exwm
/home/manuel/prog/elisp/exwm/exwm-xsettings hides /home/manuel/.emacs.d/elpa/exwm-0.31/exwm-xsettings
/home/manuel/prog/elisp/exwm/exwm-xim hides /home/manuel/.emacs.d/elpa/exwm-0.31/exwm-xim
/home/manuel/prog/elisp/exwm/exwm-workspace hides /home/manuel/.emacs.d/elpa/exwm-0.31/exwm-workspace
/home/manuel/prog/elisp/exwm/exwm-systemtray hides /home/manuel/.emacs.d/elpa/exwm-0.31/exwm-systemtray
/home/manuel/prog/elisp/exwm/exwm-manage hides /home/manuel/.emacs.d/elpa/exwm-0.31/exwm-manage
/home/manuel/prog/elisp/exwm/exwm-layout hides /home/manuel/.emacs.d/elpa/exwm-0.31/exwm-layout
/home/manuel/prog/elisp/exwm/exwm-input hides /home/manuel/.emacs.d/elpa/exwm-0.31/exwm-input
/home/manuel/prog/elisp/exwm/exwm-floating hides /home/manuel/.emacs.d/elpa/exwm-0.31/exwm-floating
/home/manuel/prog/elisp/exwm/exwm-core hides /home/manuel/.emacs.d/elpa/exwm-0.31/exwm-core
/home/manuel/prog/elisp/exwm/exwm-background hides /home/manuel/.emacs.d/elpa/exwm-0.31/exwm-background
/home/manuel/.emacs.d/elpa/ef-themes-1.8.0/theme-loaddefs hides /home/manuel/emacs/share/emacs/31.0.50/lisp/theme-loaddefs

Features:
(info-look dictionary external-completion dictionary-connection shortdoc
comp-common shadow emacsbug gnus-fun smerge-mode diff epa-file
find-dired flow-fill gnus-async gnus-bcklg gnus-ml smtpmail sort dabbrev
mailalias ispell gnus-cite mail-extr gnus-topic qp utf-7 imap rfc2104
nndoc nndraft nnmh nnfolder nnml gnus-agent gnus-srvr gnus-score
score-mode nnvirtual nntp gnus-cache nnrss org-duration cal-china lunar
solar cal-dst cal-bahai cal-islam cal-hebrew cal-julian holidays
holiday-loaddefs cal-iso face-remap org-indent oc-basic ol-eww ol-rmail
ol-mhe ol-irc ol-info ol-gnus nnselect ol-docview doc-view filenotify
ol-bibtex bibtex ol-bbdb ol-w3m ol-doi org-link-doi org-agenda
org-element org-persist org-id org-element-ast inline avl-tree
gnus-icalendar org-capture org-refile org ob ob-tangle ob-ref ob-lob
ob-table ob-exp org-macro org-src ob-comint org-pcomplete org-list
org-footnote org-faces org-entities org-version ob-emacs-lisp ob-core
ob-eval org-cycle org-table org-keys oc org-loaddefs ol org-fold
org-fold-core org-compat org-macs finder-inf mm-archive ef-winter-theme
ef-tritanopia-dark-theme ef-trio-dark-theme ef-rosa-theme ef-owl-theme
ef-night-theme ef-melissa-dark-theme ef-maris-dark-theme
ef-elea-dark-theme ef-duo-dark-theme ef-dream-theme
ef-deuteranopia-dark-theme ef-dark-theme ef-cherie-theme ef-bio-theme
ef-autumn-theme ef-symbiosis-theme man mule-util shr-color textsec
uni-scripts idna-mapping ucs-normalize uni-confusable textsec-check
network-stream url-cache vc-hg vc-bzr view tramp-cmds tramp-cache
time-stamp tramp-sh pulse ffap display-line-numbers tabify conf-mode
sh-script smie treesit executable misearch multi-isearch cl-print
midnight help-fns radix-tree cus-start make-mode vc-dir ewoc on-screen
eww url-queue mm-url pdf-occur ibuf-ext ibuffer ibuffer-loaddefs tablist
tablist-filter semantic/wisent/comp semantic/wisent
semantic/wisent/wisent semantic/util-modes semantic/util semantic
semantic/tag semantic/lex semantic/fw mode-local cedet pdf-isearch
let-alist pdf-misc imenu pdf-tools pdf-view bookmark jka-compr pdf-cache
pdf-info tq pdf-util pdf-macs image-mode exif gnus-dired vc macrostep-c
cmacexp vc-git diff-mode track-changes vc-dispatcher bug-reference time
battery desktop frameset exwm-randr xcb-randr exwm exwm-input
xcb-keysyms xcb-xkb exwm-manage exwm-floating xcb-cursor xcb-render
exwm-layout exwm-workspace exwm-core xcb-ewmh xcb-icccm xcb xcb-xproto
xcb-types xcb-debug server ef-kassio-theme ef-themes
modus-operandi-theme modus-themes zone speed-type url-http url-auth
url-gw nsm ytdious mpdired transmission color calc-bin calc-ext calc
calc-loaddefs rect calc-macs supercite regi ebdb-gnus gnus-msg gnus-art
mm-uu mml2015 mm-view mml-smime smime gnutls dig gnus-sum shr pixel-fill
kinsoku url-file svg dom gnus-group gnus-undo gnus-start gnus-dbus dbus
xml gnus-cloud nnimap nnmail mail-source utf7 nnoo gnus-spec gnus-int
gnus-range gnus-win ebdb-message message yank-media puny rfc822 mml
mml-sec epa epg rfc6068 epg-config mm-decode mm-bodies mm-encode
mail-parse rfc2231 gmm-utils mailheader ebdb-mua ebdb-com crm
ebdb-format ebdb mailabbrev eieio-opt speedbar ezimage dframe find-func
eieio-base timezone icalendar gnus nnheader gnus-util range sendmail
rfc2047 rfc2045 ietf-drums mm-util mail-prsvr mail-utils web-mode
derived disp-table erlang-start skeleton cc-mode cc-fonts cc-guess
cc-menus cc-cmds cc-styles cc-align cc-engine cc-vars cc-defs slime-asdf
grep slime-tramp tramp rx trampver tramp-integration files-x
tramp-message tramp-compat xdg shell pcomplete parse-time iso8601
time-date format-spec tramp-loaddefs slime-fancy slime-indentation
slime-cl-indent cl-indent slime-trace-dialog slime-fontifying-fu
slime-package-fu slime-references slime-compiler-notes-tree advice
slime-scratch slime-presentations bridge slime-macrostep macrostep
compat slime-mdot-fu slime-enclosing-context slime-fuzzy
slime-fancy-trace slime-fancy-inspector slime-c-p-c
slime-editing-commands slime-autodoc slime-repl slime-parse slime
apropos compile text-property-search etags fileloop generator xref
project arc-mode archive-mode noutline outline comint ansi-osc
ansi-color ring hyperspec thingatpt elec-pair edmacro kmacro
use-package-bind-key bind-key appt diary-lib diary-loaddefs cal-menu
calendar cal-loaddefs pcase dired-x dired-aux dired dired-loaddefs
use-package-core repeat easy-mmode cus-edit pp cus-load wid-edit
debbugs-autoloads ebdb-autoloads cl-extra help-mode ef-themes-autoloads
exwm-autoloads hyperbole-autoloads kotl-autoloads hact set hhist
on-screen-autoloads osm-autoloads pdf-tools-autoloads
rust-mode-autoloads info slime-autoloads macrostep-autoloads
speed-type-autoloads tablist-autoloads transmission-autoloads
xelb-autoloads ytdious-autoloads package browse-url url url-proxy
url-privacy url-expand url-methods url-history url-cookie
generate-lisp-file url-domsuf url-util mailcap url-handlers url-parse
auth-source cl-seq eieio eieio-core cl-macs icons password-cache json
subr-x map byte-opt gv bytecomp byte-compile url-vars cl-loaddefs cl-lib
rmc iso-transl tooltip cconv eldoc paren electric uniquify ediff-hook
vc-hooks lisp-float-type elisp-mode mwheel term/x-win x-win
term/common-win x-dnd touch-screen tool-bar dnd fontset image regexp-opt
fringe tabulated-list replace newcomment text-mode lisp-mode prog-mode
register page tab-bar menu-bar rfn-eshadow isearch easymenu timer select
scroll-bar mouse jit-lock font-lock syntax font-core term/tty-colors
frame minibuffer nadvice seq simple cl-generic indonesian philippine
cham georgian utf-8-lang misc-lang vietnamese tibetan thai tai-viet lao
korean japanese eucjp-ms cp51932 hebrew greek romanian slovak czech
european ethiopic indian cyrillic chinese composite emoji-zwj charscript
charprop case-table epa-hook jka-cmpr-hook help abbrev obarray oclosure
cl-preloaded button loaddefs theme-loaddefs faces cus-face macroexp
files window text-properties overlay sha1 md5 base64 format env
code-pages mule custom widget keymap hashtable-print-readable backquote
threads dbusbind kqueue lcms2 dynamic-setting system-font-setting
font-render-setting xinput2 x multi-tty move-toolbar
make-network-process emacs)

Memory information:
((conses 16 1839679 363033) (symbols 48 64933 4)
 (strings 32 496457 25800) (string-bytes 1 13760816)
 (vectors 16 193093) (vector-slots 8 2656445 237930)
 (floats 8 1346 9473) (intervals 56 62796 4763) (buffers 992 82))

-- 
Manuel Giraud