Subject: [bug#73288] Request for merging "mesa-updates" branch

From: Ludovic Courtès <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 04 Oct 2024 10:21:27 +0200

Hello!

Steve George <[email-masked]> skribis:

> On 02/10/2024 21:53, Sharlatan Hellseher wrote:
> (...)
>> The current queue of branches awaiting for review and merge:
>> | 71408 | python-team         | Fri Jun 07 10:55:25+0200 2024 | Done
>> |
>> | 72959 | fonts-split-outputs | Mon Sep 02 12:55:25+0200 2024 | Open |
>> | 73104 | r-team              | Sat Sep 07 17:55:24+0200 2024 | Open |
>> | 73288 | mesa-updates        | Mon Sep 16 04:38:25+0200 2024 | Open |
>> | 73502 | go-team             | Thu Sep 26 23:40:25+0200 2024 | Open |
>> | 73515 | qt-team             | Fri Sep 27 14:46:24+0200 2024 | Open |
>> | 73558 | wip-gsl-upgrade     | Sun Sep 29 22:33:24+0200 2024 | Open |
>> | 73567 | lisp-team           | Mon Sep 30 15:43:28+0200 2024 | Open |
>> 
> (...)
>> - https://qa.guix.gnu.org/branch/r-team
>> #73104 I've pinged R team members if that branch may be merged, the
>>   changes touch just R packages from CRAN and Bioconductor. QA passed.
> (...)
>
> What's the definition of when a branch looks good for merging? Does
> some % of substitutes have to be achieved, and for which
> architectures?
>
> https://qa.guix.gnu.org/branch/r-team shows 96% for x86_64 which is .4
> % higher than current master [0]. So it's a win by merging it! ;-)
> Seriously, it's also at 96% for aarch64-linux (bordeaux). So "it looks
> good to me".
>
> If that's the case, what prevents this "just" being merged?
>
> Presumably r-team demonstrated their desire for it to be merged by
> opening the merge request ticket. Is it a break in process if someone
> else does it? (rather than waiting for them to respond).

My take is that by filing a “request to merge”, you claim responsibility
for carrying out the work until it’s merged, unless otherwise stated.
To me, R team folks are responsible for merging ‘r-team’ because they’re
the one who know and they haven’t expressed the desire to get it merged
when it’s good on qa.guix (they didn’t click on “auto-merge”, in GitLab
parlance ;-)).

That said, if there’s no feedback from the R team in a timely fashion,
maybe it’s OK to move to the next branch in the queue.

FWIW, I also pinged 宋文武 regarding ‘fonts-split-outputs’.  If we can’t
get it merged real soon, we should probably skip it.

Thoughts?

Ludo’.