Subject: [bug#73288] Request for merging "mesa-updates" branch

From: Steve George <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 3 Oct 2024 10:01:47 +0100

On 02/10/2024 21:53, Sharlatan Hellseher wrote:
> 
> Hi,
> 
> The current queue of branches awaiting for review and merge:
> 
> | 71408 | python-team         | Fri Jun 07 10:55:25+0200 2024 | Done |
> | 72959 | fonts-split-outputs | Mon Sep 02 12:55:25+0200 2024 | Open |
> | 73104 | r-team              | Sat Sep 07 17:55:24+0200 2024 | Open |
> | 73288 | mesa-updates        | Mon Sep 16 04:38:25+0200 2024 | Open |
> | 73502 | go-team             | Thu Sep 26 23:40:25+0200 2024 | Open |
> | 73515 | qt-team             | Fri Sep 27 14:46:24+0200 2024 | Open |
> | 73558 | wip-gsl-upgrade     | Sun Sep 29 22:33:24+0200 2024 | Open |
> | 73567 | lisp-team           | Mon Sep 30 15:43:28+0200 2024 | Open |
> 
> - https://qa.guix.gnu.org/branch/python-team
> #71408 It was closed due to a large amount of merge conflicts which
> can't be resolved quick enough not blocking other changes (CC Steve who
> started cherry pick process)
> 

There are 231 commits ahead of master.

I propose to break this into groups of 30-50 commits at a time. 
Excluding the build-system changes that Lars [0] said they would do. 
Rebase on current master and test that they don't make master 'worse' [1]

Each 30-50 can be put into a new branch for a smaller 'merge-train', to 
see if it makes merging faster overall.

I did the first 31 and tested them. A new branch and merge-request could 
be created for them [2].

I need someone to collaborate with as I can't do that myself.

However, looks like everyone in python-team is busy atm.

I'll cherry-pick the next tranche if someone has the time to work with 
me on merging them - otherwise I'm wasting my time :-)

Steve / Futurile

[0] https://issues.guix.gnu.org/71408#8
[1] no additional breakage, though there are quite a few broken packages
[2] https://issues.guix.gnu.org/71408#13