Subject: Re: Request for merging "mesa-updates" branch

From: Steve George <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 3 Oct 2024 09:56:17 +0100

Hi,

On 02/10/2024 21:53, Sharlatan Hellseher wrote:
(...)
> The current queue of branches awaiting for review and merge:
> 
> | 71408 | python-team         | Fri Jun 07 10:55:25+0200 2024 | Done |
> | 72959 | fonts-split-outputs | Mon Sep 02 12:55:25+0200 2024 | Open |
> | 73104 | r-team              | Sat Sep 07 17:55:24+0200 2024 | Open |
> | 73288 | mesa-updates        | Mon Sep 16 04:38:25+0200 2024 | Open |
> | 73502 | go-team             | Thu Sep 26 23:40:25+0200 2024 | Open |
> | 73515 | qt-team             | Fri Sep 27 14:46:24+0200 2024 | Open |
> | 73558 | wip-gsl-upgrade     | Sun Sep 29 22:33:24+0200 2024 | Open |
> | 73567 | lisp-team           | Mon Sep 30 15:43:28+0200 2024 | Open |
> 
(...)
> - https://qa.guix.gnu.org/branch/r-team
> #73104 I've pinged R team members if that branch may be merged, the
>   changes touch just R packages from CRAN and Bioconductor. QA passed.
(...)

What's the definition of when a branch looks good for merging? Does some 
% of substitutes have to be achieved, and for which architectures?

https://qa.guix.gnu.org/branch/r-team shows 96% for x86_64 which is .4 % 
higher than current master [0]. So it's a win by merging it! ;-) 
Seriously, it's also at 96% for aarch64-linux (bordeaux). So "it looks 
good to me".

If that's the case, what prevents this "just" being merged?

Presumably r-team demonstrated their desire for it to be merged by 
opening the merge request ticket. Is it a break in process if someone 
else does it? (rather than waiting for them to respond).

> - https://qa.guix.gnu.org/branch/mesa-updates
> #73288 I'd love to have that branch merged, it would help to pack more
> projects for Astro* soft =).

https://qa.guix.gnu.org/branch/mesa-updates doesn't look as good to me. 
Fine on x86_64, but aarch64-linux is lower than master. Unsure if this 
is due to the build farms still trying to catch-up?

> - https://qa.guix.gnu.org/branch/go-team
> #73502 I've rebased it recently and pushed again it looks like most of
> the major builds passed successfully, some architectures (aarch64) are
> lagged behind. The branch is ready and would let me complete packaging
> Prometheus and start large unbundle task.

This looks about the same as Mesa-upates to me.

Is there a way to compare master<-->go-team to see if different packages 
are failing?

We shouldn't make master break in new ways by merging right!

Steve / Futurile

[0] https://qa.guix.gnu.org/branch/master