Subject: bug#73285: 30.0.90; editorconfig-indentation-alist missing modes

From: Troy Brown <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 17 Sep 2024 18:28:44 -0400

On Tue, Sep 17, 2024 at 9:16 AM Stefan Monnier <[email-masked]> wrote:
>
> >> Recently new modes were added to the EditorConfig on GitHub, but those
> >> modes have not made their way into Emacs' EditorConfig implementation.
>
> The two code branches aren't in sync, indeed.  I'll see if I can bring
> our up-to-date with the upstream code ASAP.
>
> > The variable listing the modes is a defcustom, so users can update it
> > themselves.  We will never be able to be up-to-date with all the modes
> > out there that are not part of Emacs.
>
> Indeed.  For this reason the code in Emacs (not yet upstream) introduced
> `editorconfig-indent-size-vars` which is supposed to be set by the major
> modes themselves.
>
> So we should arguably change `ada/gpr(-ts)-mode` to set
> `editorconfig-indent-size-vars`.
>

Ah, I was not aware of editorconfig-indent-size-vars.  I can update
the modes I maintain (ada-ts-mode, gpr-ts-mode) to use that instead.

Looking at editorconfig--default-indent-size-function, it looks like
if it also supported an "-ident" suffix, that would probably cover
ada-mode and gpr-mode as well.  Those modes are currently without a
maintainer, so might be good to either add them to
editorconfig-indentation-alist or to adjust the default function to
support the "-indent" suffix.