Subject: Re: bug#7328: parallel installation ignores deps between libtool libraries

From: Ralf Wildenhues <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 4 Nov 2010 21:24:03 +0100

Hi Andy,

* Andy Wingo wrote on Thu, Nov 04, 2010 at 04:19:55PM CET:
>     lib_LTLIBRARIES = libfoo.la
>     plugindir = $(libdir)/gstreamer-0.10
>     plugin_LTLIBRARIES = bar.la
>     bar_la_LIBADD = libfoo.la
> 
> Obviously we are missing some sources here, but it suffices to show the
> parallel installation bug: there is a race between relinking the
> installed bar.la and the installed libfoo.la. It could be that libfoo.la
> isn't there yet.

Yep; long-standing bug.  We've pondered about strategies to fix it
before, but no full solution yet.  Here's a dirty workaround for the
moment:

install-pluginLTLIBRARIES = install-pluginLTLIBRARIES
$(install-pluginLTLIBRARIES): install-libLTLIBRARIES

Thanks for the report,
Ralf