Subject: Re: bug#73265: Spelling of macOS

From: Xavier Noria <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 18 Sep 2024 06:09:57 +0200

On Wed, Sep 18, 2024 at 5:53 AM Richard Stallman <[email-masked]> wrote:

[[[ To any NSA and FBI agents reading my email: please consider    ]]]
> [[[ whether defending the US Constitution against all enemies,     ]]]
> [[[ foreign or domestic, requires you to follow Snowden's example. ]]]
>
> We should write it "MacOS", following the normal convention of proper
> names in written English, because we have no reason to depart from it.
> On general principles, in the absence of any reason why we would want
> to depart from them, it is good to follow such conventions.
>
> The only proposed reason to write "macOS" is that Apple asks for it.
> Since Apple is an enemy of the GNU GPL, and an enemy of computer
> users' freedom generally, a request from Apple is for us no reason at
> all.

No.

"macOS" should be written "macOS" because that is the name of the operating
system. There are no further considerations to this.

As you know, brand names are not English words and do not abide by their
rules. "eBay" is "eBay" and "BMW" is "BMW".

It's OK. I was only trying to help, assuming you'd like to know. Once you
are aware of this, it is your call.

We can close this issue folks.