Subject: bug#73225: Repeating tags-search from the start doesn't work

From: Roger Sewell <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 13 Sep 2024 10:15:21 +0100

Package: emacs

I'm using emacs 1:27.2-10.el9_4 on Rocky Linux 9.4, which I realise is
not the latest available version of emacs but is the latest package
available for this distro.

If I put two files in a directory, each containing multiple occurrences
of foo-bar, run etags on them, and run tags-search for foo-bar, then the
first time it correctly goes through every occurrence in both files.

If I then repeat the tags-search for foo-bar, this time it only takes me
to the LAST occurrence in each file.

It makes no difference if I run tags-reset-tags-tables before the second
search, nor if I tags-search for some other string that is found in a
third file.

Moreover, if after having done the first search I search for some other
string found in one of the first two files, then instead of taking me to
that other string, it takes me to the last occurrence of foo-bar.

If you need any further information please let me know. 

If there is a workaround available, I'd be grateful to be told that also.

Thanks,
Roger Sewell.