Subject: [bug#73197] [PATCH] gnu: julia: Update to 1.9.3.

From: Ludovic Courtès <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 08 Jan 2025 11:44:08 +0100

Hello,

Simon Tournier <[email-masked]> skribis:

> I am resuming this patch.  And I would like to have it merge before the
> end of this month.  In other words, I would like to mention this update
> in the Guix HPC annual report.

Excellent.  :-)

> Could we have a julia-team branch and that branch built by CI?  It would
> help by saving some resources.

This branch is built already:
<https://ci.guix.gnu.org/jobset/julia-upgrade>.

> From my numbers, ~230 Julia packages fail.  Over ~300 packages.

[...]

>> The problem is that the julia-build-system needs to be adapted to the
>> newer versions of Julia.

To be clear, the build failures here have to do with JULIA_LOAD_PATH or
JULIA_DEPOT_PATH somehow not being set to the right value.  (That’s why
roughly packages with no dependency other than Julia build fine, while
those that depend on other julia-* packages fails to build.)

I’ve rebased the branch and added debugging helpers I was using.

Protip: when fiddling with the ‘julia’ package, use
‘--without-tests=julia’.  :-)

HTH!

Ludo’.