Subject: Re: [bug#73197] [PATCH] gnu: julia: Update to 1.9.3.

From: Simon Tournier <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 06 Jan 2025 16:43:23 +0100

Hi,

I am resuming this patch.  And I would like to have it merge before the
end of this month.  In other words, I would like to mention this update
in the Guix HPC annual report.

On Sun, 22 Sep 2024 at 10:24, Efraim Flashner <[email-masked]> wrote:

>> > Let me take a look at those failure to see how bad it is.

Could we have a julia-team branch and that branch built by CI?  It would
help by saving some resources.

>From my numbers, ~230 Julia packages fail.  Over ~300 packages.

>> I would suggest to have julia-next.

[...]

>> Users willing stable just install ’julia’ and ’julia-’ packages.
>> Adventurous users install ’julia-next’ and ’julia-*-next’.

> The problem is that the julia-build-system needs to be adapted to the
> newer versions of Julia.

Yes, you have the same with all *-next “compilers” applied to their
packages: emacs-next, ghc-next, guile-next or python-next.  Somehow,
there is no guarantee that the python-build-system works equally for
both python and python-next, and there is no guarantee neither that
python-* packages build with python-next as Python “compiler”.

Somehow, there is the stable and the adventurous. :-)

Well, let keep that aside and let rediscuss it again for Julia 1.10 or
1.11 and let focus on making Julia 1.9.3 the default.

Please note that we already have a Julia package that’s half packaged:
julia-precompiletools.  The test suite fails because the
julia-build-system has not been adapted yet. :-)

Cheers,
simon