Subject: [bug#73197] [PATCH] gnu: julia: Update to 1.9.3.

From: Simon Tournier <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 20 Sep 2024 17:29:41 +0200

Hi Ludo,

On lun., 16 sept. 2024 at 11:47, Ludovic Courtès <[email-masked]> wrote:

> I would hope we can migrate straight to 1.9, but if that’s too tricky, I
> agree we should follow the plan you describe.
>
> Let me take a look at those failure to see how bad it is.

I would suggest to have julia-next.

And some ’package-with-julia’ transformation similar as
package-with-python or package-with-ocaml.

Somehow, that’s always painful to upgrade Julia because of the Julia
world rebuild and some (more than some?) package breakages.

That way it would easier to have the CI following the branch team-julia
where regular package would go, as well as julia-next upgrade.  And the
manifest could build both set of packages (julia and julia-next) using
the transformation.

Users willing stable just install ’julia’ and ’julia-’ packages.
Adventurous users install ’julia-next’ and ’julia-*-next’.

WDYT?

Cheers,
simon