Subject: Re: bug#7317: Bug in SLEEP command

From: Eric Blake <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 02 Nov 2010 10:41:40 -0600

On 11/02/2010 09:46 AM, Андрей Передрий wrote:
> 
> Hello guys!
> 
> I found a bug in 'sleep' command.

> As you can see - 'sleep' was terminated by himself after 24 days, 20 hours, 26 minutes and 33 seconds.
> 24*24*3600 + 20*3600 + 26*60 + 33 = 2073600 + 72000 + 1560 + 33 = 2147193 seconds
> It seems like overflow.
> coreutils 6.10-6
> Debian 5.0.6  

Is your system 32-bit or 64-bit?  It makes a difference in determining
whether there is a bug in the OS sleep primitives (for example, we know
that 64-bit Linux has a bug where nanosleep with an extremely large
value will cause the kernel to overflow and sleep for the wrong amount
of time, but coreutils has workarounds in place for that).

Also, consider upgrading; the latest stable coreutils release is 8.6,
and there have been some gnulib fixes in the meantime to improve the
robustness of the sleep workarounds in use by coreutils.

-- 
Eric Blake   [email-masked]    +1-801-349-2682
Libvirt virtualization library http://libvirt.org