Subject: bug#73169: wifi driver problem

From: "pelzflorian (Florian Pelz)" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 11 Sep 2024 14:31:39 +0200

Hello Fadi.  On Guix System, wi-fi is a tough issue.  Partial solutions
are to either use cable instead of Wi-fi [1], to use a free Wi-fi
adapter (not compatible with new Wi-fi standards), or, with obvious
downsides, to use a non-free distribution of Guix or Linux (perhaps with
only Guix Home instead of the full Guix System).

Since this is a bug report, I wonder, do you think we can better inform
users?  (There already is the message you photographed, but perhaps
point out to use an adapter.)

Fadi Al-Arja <[email-masked]> writes:
> Knowing that Guix emphasizes free software, I am wondering if there is a way to still integrate these network drivers into the system or if I may
> need to develop my own driver to resolve the issue. Are there any alternative approaches or specific documentation that could help me with
> this issue?

Not knowing low-level, electronics development, I believe the hindrance
to modern libre Wi-fi is not patents but lack of man-power for a
libre-friendly supply chain.

Regards,
Florian

[1]
https://guix.gnu.org/manual/devel/en/html_node/Hardware-Considerations.html
https://guix.gnu.org/manual/devel/de/html_node/Hardware_002dUberlegungen.html