Subject: bug#73166: shell-autorized-directories

From: Ludovic Courtès <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 11 Sep 2024 11:52:48 +0200

Hi,

Nicolas Graves <[email-masked]> skribis:

> According to current uses of the XDG base dirs specification, I think
> guix shell-autorized-directories is in the wrong place, and should
> instead be in $XDG_STATE_HOME/guix/
>
> direnv uses $XDG_STATE_HOME too to store authorized directories, and it
> also makes more sense in the context of immutable configs

Is it that clear-cut?  It can be viewed as config rather than state too,
no?

> WDYT? Should we implement this change? The tricky thing might be the
> migration for those files.

Right, migration in itself is difficult.  Not to mention that we’d have
to account for people who use ‘time-machine’ to run a pre-migration
shell.

> Maybe we should also add a --allow argument to guix shell to make it
> easier to add files.

That option would add a line to ‘shell-autorized-directories’?

Thanks,
Ludo’.