Subject: Re: [bug#73152] [PATCH 3/6] gnu: Add make-nss.

From: Ian Eure <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 17 May 2025 11:19:14 -0700

Hi Liliana, Christopher,

Liliana Marie Prikler <[email-masked]> writes:

> Note: the explanation should come before the ChangeLog.

Fixed, thanks.

Christopher Baines <[email-masked]> writes:

> Maybe there's a more elegant way to share a value between phases 
> in the
> builder, but I think even doing it via an environment variable 
> is still
> preferable than using a procedure to create the package. I've 
> spent many
> hours debugging complex functional and performance related 
> issues caused
> by procedures returning packages, and while it's a powerful 
> tool, it's
> something to be avoided unless necessary.

I adopted this suggestion, and it made for a much cleaner setup. 
Thank you!

The current patch series is working and ready for review.  I 
haven’t rebuilt all the dependent packages (and QA is down, so I’m 
not sure whether it has, but it’s had a week to do so), but the 
direct nss/nspr changes build and seem to work for me.

> In terms of how to make this kind of change, I'd split it in to 
> two
> parts. Introducing the environment variable can definately go to 
> the
> core-packages-team branch in my opinion, and the package updates 
> could
> maybe as well, but I'd think of it as two separate patch series.

This patch series updates nss, but leaves nss-rapid for a later 
series.  I’d prefer not to block this on core-package-team, but if 
you feel strongly that some or all of these changes should go 
there, I will direct them.  Given that it’s been 8 months since I 
opened the series and that will extend the timeline greatly, I’m 
disinclined to complicate things more -- and would likely end up 
needing to move all the changes to Codeberg with the added delay. 
WDYT?

 -- Ian