Subject: bug#73133: 29.2; EWW fails to render some webpages

From: Jim Porter <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 21 Sep 2024 10:12:22 -0700

On 9/21/2024 2:13 AM, Eli Zaretskii wrote:
>> Date: Mon, 9 Sep 2024 23:06:56 -0700
>> From: Jim Porter <[email-masked]>
>>
>>   From my reading of RFC9110[1], this is *technically* a bug (we should
>> assume application/octet-stream, not text/plain), but that wouldn't fix
>> the rendering here; it would probably make things worse. However, per
>> the RFC, EWW would be within its rights to guess that the page is HTML,
>> e.g. by checking for "<!doctype html>". It also recommends having that
>> be an option that can be disabled, which is reasonable (and in keeping
>> with Emacs's design principles anyway).
>>
>> [1] https://www.rfc-editor.org/rfc/rfc9110#section-8.3-5
> 
> Thanks.  Would someone like to submit a patch along these lines?

It'll probably be a couple weeks until I have time to write a patch, but 
if no one has done so by then, I'll look into it.