Subject: bug#73098: setopt float warning unexpected

From: Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 09 Sep 2024 18:28:07 +0300

> From: Michael Heerdegen <[email-masked]>
> Cc: Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]>,  [email-masked]
> Date: Mon, 09 Sep 2024 17:11:40 +0200
> 
> Ship Mints <[email-masked]> writes:
> 
> > I'm suggesting that there will be noise from people who convert from a
> > working (setq some-package-option 2) to (setopt some-package-option
> > 2). This is not a request to change the elisp type system, it is a
> > request to consider if setopt's / customize internals should be
> > relaxed to the equivalent of #'= for these simple cases.
> 
> How about adding an option letting the user disable the type checking of
> some options?

Like what?  Would we accept, for example, a string where the type is
'symbol'?  Or any value where type is 'boolean'?

And I'm also not sure we want this: presumably, if the defcustom's
author specified a type, they meant it, no?

Which is why I asked for opinions (but for now got only yours).

Stefan, WDYT?