Subject: 31.0.50; Completion lists unbound variables with suffix - (e.g., rcirc-)

From: Tassilo Horn <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 07 Sep 2024 09:18:23 +0200

It just occurred to me that variable completion with C-h v lists
non-existent variables with suffix -, e.g., rcirc-, Man-, Info-, info-,
etc.  When selecting one of those, the *Help* buffer just says

--8<---------------cut here---------------start------------->8---
rcirc- is void as a variable.

Not documented as a variable.
--8<---------------cut here---------------end--------------->8---

Yeah, that's correct, but why was it shown in the *Completions* then?

That happens with "emacs -Q" with emacs from git master.

In GNU Emacs 31.0.50 (build 3, x86_64-pc-linux-gnu, GTK+ Version
 3.24.43, cairo version 1.18.2) of 2024-09-06 built on thinkpad-t440p
Repository revision: df57e44a08fd5c7dc159254a40f5d2e4d008e8df
Repository branch: master
System Description: Arch Linux

Configured using:
 'configure --with-tree-sitter --with-pgtk --with-modules'

Configured features:
ACL CAIRO DBUS FREETYPE GIF GLIB GMP GNUTLS GPM GSETTINGS HARFBUZZ JPEG
LCMS2 LIBOTF LIBSYSTEMD LIBXML2 MODULES NATIVE_COMP NOTIFY INOTIFY
PDUMPER PGTK PNG RSVG SECCOMP SOUND SQLITE3 THREADS TIFF
TOOLKIT_SCROLL_BARS TREE_SITTER WEBP XIM GTK3 ZLIB

Important settings:
  value of $LC_MONETARY: de_DE.utf8
  value of $LC_NUMERIC: de_DE.utf8
  value of $LC_TIME: de_DE.utf8
  value of $LANG: en_US.UTF-8
  locale-coding-system: utf-8-unix

Major mode: mu4e:main

Minor modes in effect:
  rcirc-color-mode: t
  breadcrumb-mode: t
  editorconfig-mode: t
  global-aggressive-indent-mode: t
  pdf-occur-global-minor-mode: t
  diredfl-global-mode: t
  mu4e-search-minor-mode: t
  mu4e-update-minor-mode: t
  mu4e-context-minor-mode: t
  mu4e-modeline-mode: t
  which-key-mode: t
  highlight-parentheses-mode: t
  global-git-commit-mode: t
  magit-auto-revert-mode: t
  server-mode: t
  corfu-popupinfo-mode: t
  corfu-history-mode: t
  global-corfu-mode: t
  corfu-mode: t
  vertico-mode: t
  marginalia-mode: t
  minibuffer-depth-indicate-mode: t
  switchy-window-minor-mode: t
  electric-pair-mode: t
  recentf-mode: t
  override-global-mode: t
  repeat-mode: t
  global-so-long-mode: t
  save-place-mode: t
  savehist-mode: t
  puni-global-mode: t
  puni-mode: t
  tooltip-mode: t
  global-eldoc-mode: t
  show-paren-mode: t
  electric-indent-mode: t
  mouse-wheel-mode: t
  file-name-shadow-mode: t
  global-font-lock-mode: t
  font-lock-mode: t
  blink-cursor-mode: t
  minibuffer-regexp-mode: t
  buffer-read-only: t
  column-number-mode: t
  transient-mark-mode: t
  auto-composition-mode: t
  auto-encryption-mode: t
  auto-compression-mode: t
  overwrite-mode: overwrite-mode-binary

Load-path shadows:
~/Repos/el/mu/mu4e/mu4e hides ~/Repos/el/mu/build/mu4e/mu4e
~/Repos/el/mu/mu4e/mu4e-modeline hides ~/Repos/el/mu/build/mu4e/mu4e-modeline
~/Repos/el/mu/mu4e/mu4e-context hides ~/Repos/el/mu/build/mu4e/mu4e-context
~/Repos/el/mu/mu4e/mu4e-main hides ~/Repos/el/mu/build/mu4e/mu4e-main
~/Repos/el/mu/mu4e/mu4e-vars hides ~/Repos/el/mu/build/mu4e/mu4e-vars
~/Repos/el/mu/mu4e/mu4e-window hides ~/Repos/el/mu/build/mu4e/mu4e-window
~/Repos/el/mu/mu4e/mu4e-speedbar hides ~/Repos/el/mu/build/mu4e/mu4e-speedbar
~/Repos/el/mu/mu4e/mu4e-view hides ~/Repos/el/mu/build/mu4e/mu4e-view
~/Repos/el/mu/mu4e/mu4e-thread hides ~/Repos/el/mu/build/mu4e/mu4e-thread
~/Repos/el/mu/mu4e/mu4e-bookmarks hides ~/Repos/el/mu/build/mu4e/mu4e-bookmarks
~/Repos/el/mu/mu4e/mu4e-org hides ~/Repos/el/mu/build/mu4e/mu4e-org
~/Repos/el/mu/mu4e/mu4e-lists hides ~/Repos/el/mu/build/mu4e/mu4e-lists
~/Repos/el/mu/mu4e/mu4e-actions hides ~/Repos/el/mu/build/mu4e/mu4e-actions
~/Repos/el/mu/mu4e/mu4e-helpers hides ~/Repos/el/mu/build/mu4e/mu4e-helpers
~/Repos/el/mu/mu4e/mu4e-search hides ~/Repos/el/mu/build/mu4e/mu4e-search
~/Repos/el/mu/mu4e/mu4e-server hides ~/Repos/el/mu/build/mu4e/mu4e-server
~/Repos/el/mu/mu4e/mu4e-obsolete hides ~/Repos/el/mu/build/mu4e/mu4e-obsolete
~/Repos/el/mu/mu4e/mu4e-update hides ~/Repos/el/mu/build/mu4e/mu4e-update
~/Repos/el/mu/mu4e/mu4e-draft hides ~/Repos/el/mu/build/mu4e/mu4e-draft
~/Repos/el/mu/mu4e/mu4e-message hides ~/Repos/el/mu/build/mu4e/mu4e-message
~/Repos/el/mu/mu4e/mu4e-compose hides ~/Repos/el/mu/build/mu4e/mu4e-compose
~/Repos/el/mu/mu4e/mu4e-headers hides ~/Repos/el/mu/build/mu4e/mu4e-headers
~/Repos/el/mu/mu4e/mu4e-query-items hides ~/Repos/el/mu/build/mu4e/mu4e-query-items
~/Repos/el/mu/mu4e/mu4e-notification hides ~/Repos/el/mu/build/mu4e/mu4e-notification
~/Repos/el/mu/mu4e/mu4e-contacts hides ~/Repos/el/mu/build/mu4e/mu4e-contacts
~/Repos/el/mu/mu4e/mu4e-icalendar hides ~/Repos/el/mu/build/mu4e/mu4e-icalendar
~/Repos/el/mu/mu4e/mu4e-mark hides ~/Repos/el/mu/build/mu4e/mu4e-mark
~/Repos/el/mu/mu4e/mu4e-contrib hides ~/Repos/el/mu/build/mu4e/mu4e-contrib
~/Repos/el/mu/mu4e/mu4e-folders hides ~/Repos/el/mu/build/mu4e/mu4e-folders
~/Repos/el/mu/mu4e/mu4e-mime-parts hides ~/Repos/el/mu/build/mu4e/mu4e-mime-parts
/home/horn/.emacs.d/elpa/ef-themes-1.8.0/theme-loaddefs hides /home/horn/Repos/el/emacs/lisp/theme-loaddefs
/home/horn/.emacs.d/elpa/transient-20240902.1048/transient hides /home/horn/Repos/el/emacs/lisp/transient

Features:
(shadow expreg cap-words superword subword face-remap emacsbug
network-stream url-cache debbugs-gnu debbugs-compat rcirc-color
th-private rcirc misearch multi-isearch mm-archive sort gnus-cite
mail-extr qp textsec uni-scripts idna-mapping ucs-normalize
uni-confusable textsec-check cus-start view help-fns radix-tree
tramp-cmds puni display-fill-column-indicator display-line-numbers
ef-frost-theme generic yaml-mode fish-mode cargo xref cargo-process
rust-utils rust-mode-treesitter rust-ts-mode rust-mode rust-playpen
rust-cargo rust-common rust-rustfmt rust-compile web-mode disp-table
auctex-autoloads tex-site breadcrumb pulse project editorconfig
editorconfig-core editorconfig-core-handle editorconfig-fnmatch
elfeed-show elfeed-search vc-hg vc-bzr vc-src vc-sccs vc-svn vc-cvs
vc-rcs log-view debbugs-browse elfeed-csv elfeed elfeed-curl elfeed-log
elfeed-db elfeed-lib avl-tree url-queue xml-query hl-todo
aggressive-indent rainbow-mode pdf-occur tablist tablist-filter
semantic/wisent/comp semantic/wisent semantic/wisent/wisent
semantic/util-modes semantic/util semantic semantic/tag semantic/lex
semantic/fw mode-local cedet pdf-isearch pdf-misc pdf-tools pdf-view
jka-compr pdf-cache pdf-info tq pdf-util pdf-macs image-mode exif vc-git
vc-dir ewoc epa-file trashed diredfl dired-x eshell esh-cmd generator
esh-ext esh-proc esh-opt esh-io esh-arg esh-module esh-module-loaddefs
esh-util mu4e-icalendar gnus-icalendar icalendar diary-lib
diary-loaddefs mu4e mu4e-org mu4e-notification notifications mu4e-main
smtpmail mu4e-view mu4e-mime-parts mu4e-headers mu4e-thread mu4e-actions
org-capture org-refile org ob ob-tangle ob-ref ob-lob ob-table ob-exp
org-macro org-src sh-script smie executable ob-comint org-pcomplete
org-list org-footnote org-faces org-entities ob-emacs-lisp ob-core
ob-eval org-cycle org-table ol org-fold org-fold-core org-keys oc
org-loaddefs cal-menu calendar cal-loaddefs org-compat org-version
org-macs mu4e-compose mu4e-draft gnus-msg mu4e-search mu4e-lists
mu4e-bookmarks mu4e-mark mu4e-message flow-fill mule-util mu4e-contacts
mu4e-update mu4e-folders mu4e-context mu4e-query-items mu4e-server
mu4e-modeline mu4e-vars mu4e-helpers mu4e-config mu4e-window
magit-bookmark bookmark ido mu4e-obsolete hippie-exp auto-dictionary
flyspell ispell tramp-smb which-key highlight-parentheses restclient
forge-repos forge-tablist hl-line forge-topics forge-commands forge-semi
forge-bitbucket buck forge-gogs gogs forge-gitea gtea forge-gitlab glab
forge-github ghub-graphql treepy gsexp ghub let-alist forge-notify
forge-revnote forge-pullreq forge-issue forge-topic yaml eieio-custom
forge-post markdown-mode noutline outline forge-repo forge forge-core
forge-db closql emacsql-sqlite-common emacsql emacsql-compiler
eieio-base magit-submodule magit-blame magit-stash magit-reflog
magit-bisect magit-push magit-pull magit-fetch magit-clone magit-remote
magit-commit magit-sequence magit-notes magit-worktree magit-tag
magit-merge magit-branch magit-reset magit-files magit-refs magit-status
magit magit-repos magit-apply magit-wip magit-log which-func imenu
magit-diff smerge-mode diff diff-mode track-changes git-commit log-edit
pcvs-util add-log magit-core magit-autorevert autorevert filenotify
magit-margin magit-transient magit-process with-editor comp comp-cstr
comp-run comp-common server magit-mode benchmark magit-git magit-base
magit-section cursor-sensor crm dash visual-filename-abbrev rg vc
vc-dispatcher rg-info-hack advice rg-menu transient rg-ibuffer rg-result
wgrep-rg wgrep rg-history rg-header ibuf-ext ibuffer ibuffer-loaddefs
grep compile debbugs soap-client url-http url-auth url-gw nsm warnings
rng-xsd rng-dt rng-util xsd-regexp bug-reference thingatpt kind-icon
svg-lib color corfu-popupinfo corfu-history corfu vertico marginalia
icomplete mb-depth use-package-diminish switchy-window compat elec-pair
recentf tree-widget edmacro kmacro use-package-bind-key bind-key
diminish repeat toml-ts-mode json-ts-mode c++-ts-mode c-ts-mode
java-ts-mode c-ts-common find-func treesit so-long saveplace tramp-cache
time-stamp tramp-sh tramp rx trampver tramp-integration files-x
tramp-message tramp-compat xdg shell pcomplete comint ansi-osc ring
format-spec ansi-color tramp-loaddefs savehist smiley gnus-art mm-uu
mml2015 mm-view mml-smime smime gnutls dig gnus-sum shr pixel-fill
kinsoku url-file svg dom gnus-group gnus-undo gnus-start gnus-dbus dbus
xml gnus-cloud nnimap nnmail mail-source utf7 nnoo parse-time iso8601
gnus-spec gnus-int gnus-range message sendmail yank-media puny dired
dired-loaddefs rfc822 mml mml-sec epa derived epg rfc6068 epg-config
mm-decode mm-bodies mm-encode mail-parse rfc2231 rfc2047 rfc2045
ietf-drums mailabbrev gmm-utils mailheader gnus-win gnus nnheader
gnus-util text-property-search time-date mm-util mail-prsvr mail-utils
range ef-themes cl-extra help-mode use-package-ensure use-package-core
finder-inf cus-edit pp cus-load wid-edit aggressive-indent-autoloads
auto-dictionary-autoloads breadcrumb-autoloads cape-autoloads
cargo-autoloads clojure-mode-autoloads corfu-autoloads
csv-mode-autoloads debbugs-autoloads diminish-autoloads
diredfl-autoloads eat-autoloads ef-themes-autoloads elfeed-autoloads
ement-autoloads expreg-autoloads fish-mode-autoloads forge-autoloads
closql-autoloads emacsql-autoloads ghub-autoloads
highlight-parentheses-autoloads hl-todo-autoloads kind-icon-autoloads
magit-autoloads pcase marginalia-autoloads markdown-mode-autoloads
mastodon-autoloads pdf-tools-autoloads persist-autoloads plz-autoloads
puni-autoloads easy-mmode rainbow-mode-autoloads rcirc-color-autoloads
request-autoloads restclient-autoloads rg-autoloads rust-mode-autoloads
svg-lib-autoloads symbol-overlay-autoloads tablist-autoloads
taxy-magit-section-autoloads taxy-autoloads magit-section-autoloads
dash-autoloads totp-autoloads transient-autoloads trashed-autoloads
treepy-autoloads vertico-autoloads visual-filename-abbrev-autoloads
web-mode-autoloads wgrep-autoloads info with-editor-autoloads
yaml-autoloads yaml-mode-autoloads package browse-url url url-proxy
url-privacy url-expand url-methods url-history url-cookie
generate-lisp-file url-domsuf url-util mailcap url-handlers url-parse
auth-source cl-seq eieio eieio-core cl-macs icons password-cache json
subr-x map byte-opt gv bytecomp byte-compile url-vars cl-loaddefs cl-lib
rmc iso-transl tooltip cconv eldoc paren electric uniquify ediff-hook
vc-hooks lisp-float-type elisp-mode mwheel term/pgtk-win pgtk-win
term/common-win touch-screen pgtk-dnd tool-bar dnd fontset image
regexp-opt fringe tabulated-list replace newcomment text-mode lisp-mode
prog-mode register page tab-bar menu-bar rfn-eshadow isearch easymenu
timer select scroll-bar mouse jit-lock font-lock syntax font-core
term/tty-colors frame minibuffer nadvice seq simple cl-generic
indonesian philippine cham georgian utf-8-lang misc-lang vietnamese
tibetan thai tai-viet lao korean japanese eucjp-ms cp51932 hebrew greek
romanian slovak czech european ethiopic indian cyrillic chinese
composite emoji-zwj charscript charprop case-table epa-hook
jka-cmpr-hook help abbrev obarray oclosure cl-preloaded button loaddefs
theme-loaddefs faces cus-face macroexp files window text-properties
overlay sha1 md5 base64 format env code-pages mule custom widget keymap
hashtable-print-readable backquote threads dbusbind inotify
dynamic-setting system-font-setting font-render-setting cairo gtk pgtk
lcms2 multi-tty move-toolbar make-network-process native-compile emacs)

Memory information:
((conses 16 1085167 182839) (symbols 48 56848 4) (strings 32 276570 10893)
 (string-bytes 1 8230082) (vectors 16 117224) (vector-slots 8 1406707 119892)
 (floats 8 804 7924) (intervals 56 9160 2830) (buffers 992 24))