Subject: [bug#73073] [PATCH v3 1/8] packages: Use origin file names as their input labels.

From: Simon Tournier <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 15 Dec 2024 23:30:55 +0100

Hi,

On Sun, 15 Dec 2024 at 22:54, Ludovic Courtès <[email-masked]> wrote:

> Regarding #2, what do we mean by “world rebuild”?  30K? 20K? 10K?
> I think the phrase is colloquially understood as “a lot of rebuilds”,
> usually meaning more than 5K per architecture.  With this magnitude,
> world rebuilds are now commonplace.
>
> The way to deal with such changes is documented and working relatively
> well though (info "(guix) Managing Patches and Branches").  The key
> insight from experience over the past years is that we must avoid scope
> creep and instead have focused branches.

This is somehow a waste of electrical resource.  This discussion [1] is not
done IMHO and we are seeing again another instance of what I tried to
describe [1].

BTW, please note if we would like to follow what is described by  "Managing
Patches and Branches", the workflow would read: create a topic branch where
the topic is "input- label", apply the whole fix (including the rebuild
cycle), build it then merge.

Somehow I'm missing a point with the argument...  Whatever. :-)

For sure, now is better than never, as a good Zen said.  So I will live
with this merge.

Cheers,
simon

PS: Although never is often better than *right* now, said right after the
very same good Zen. ;-)

1: Naming “build train” instead of “merge train”?
Simon Tournier <[email-masked]>
Mon, 09 Sep 2024 19:28:57 +0200
id:[email-masked]
https://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/guix-devel/2024-09
https://yhetil.org/guix/[email-masked]