Subject: [bug#73073] [PATCH v3 1/8] packages: Use origin file names as their input labels.

From: Simon Tournier <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 12 Dec 2024 12:51:25 +0100

Hi Ludo,

On Thu, 12 Dec 2024 at 12:20, Ludovic Courtès <[email-masked]> wrote:

> This is not in the scope of ‘core-packages’.  (It would be a good fit
> for a texlive team branch, I suppose.)

Well, we need 1. to clarify what means "core-packages" today and 2. how to
deal with world-rebuilds packages.

For sure, I agree that the scope  'core-packages' must be clearly bounded
to a restricted set of packages.

However, today we are currently running a world-rebuild, right?  Because
the branch 'core-packages' (it could be another one).  So if fixing the
workaround goes to texlive team branch then it will also triggers a
world-rebuild one day when this branch will be fully rebuilt.  I.e., weeks
later, we will do again yet-another a world-rebuild.

My point of view is: today we know how to fix it and the fix will improve
the situation for the good and once for all, so I consider the workaround a
waste of (electrical) resource.  I mean, it's only because we don't know
how to deal this situation in the frame of the new team branch organisation.

Therefore, I would take that example as an opportunity to clarify #2.
(That's one the reason why the series was "dormant", because I did not have
the energy and bandwidth to engage this discussion. :-))

Cheers,
simon