Subject: Re: [bug#73058] closed (Re: [PATCH] gnu: gsl: Add debug output.)

From: Ludovic Courtès <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 06 Sep 2024 09:05:49 +0200

Hi John and jgart,

John Kehayias <[email-masked]> skribis:

> On Fri, Sep 06, 2024 at 12:15 AM, GNU bug Tracking System wrote:

[...]

>> From: "jgart" <[email-masked]>
>> Subject: Re: [PATCH] gnu: gsl: Add debug output.
>> To: [email-masked]
>> Cc: Artyom Bologov <[email-masked]>
>> Date: Fri, 06 Sep 2024 00:13:28 +0000 (2 hours, 12 minutes, 9 seconds ago)
>>
>> LGTM!
>>
>> all the best,
>>
>> jgart
>>
>> https://whereis.xn--q9jyb4c/
>>
>
> Did you mean to push this to master? I see a lot of rebuilds on Cuirass.
> Though perhaps a good chunk done by now.

It’s a serious issue indeed: builders, in particular for Arm/RISC-V/PPC,
cannot be expected to catch up with such a change on ‘master’.  Please
check out the rebuild scheduling policy, in this case for changes
impacting 300+ packages:

  https://guix.gnu.org/manual/devel/en/html_node/Managing-Patches-and-Branches.html

In fact, we have more important changes to ‘gsl’ that were noticed
during ‘core-updates’ but delayed due to the important cost of a
rebuild; see 4d8382ab840300ffe2a364d0e2a27b8db3d04fab and the discussion
at <https://issues.guix.gnu.org/72451>.

> If it needs to be reverted (I wasn't sure), we could take it (and an
> update?) on mesa-updates or maybe gnome-team if they are quicker?

I was planning to have a gsl-specific branch, where we could have this
patch too, and which could join a “merge train” with ‘mesa-updates’ or
similar.  WDYT?

So I reverted this commit in c4a2b99f7d06ef5676d4148410a3b734c286f7cb
and canceled pending builds on ci.guix.

Thanks,
Ludo’.