Subject: Re: [bug#73056] [PATCH 1/2] gnu: cl-ciel: Update to 0.2.1

From: Konrad Hinsen <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 06 Sep 2024 14:24:48 +0200

Guillaume Le Vaillant <[email-masked]> writes:

> Is building the core image useful, given that the sbcl-ciel-repl package
> will contain the binary with the same included features?

The CIEL REPL is specifically meant for use in the terminal, whereas the
core image is recommended by upstream for use with Emacs/Slime and
similar environments.

> If yes, it would be better to put it in the "lib/" directory instead of
> "bin/" (e.g. SBCL puts the default core image in "lib/sbcl/").

I have no strong opinions on the location. There is only one other
package in Guix that builds a core image. That's sbcl-slynk, and it
puts the image under /bin, so I did the same.

There is some justification to this choice because the images are
actually executable. You can use either

   bin/ciel.image

or

   sbcl --core bin/ciel.image

with the same effect.

As I said, I don't care much, but I think it would be preferable to have
a uniform policy about this in Guix, now that we have two packages that
build images :-)

Cheers,
  Konrad.