Subject: bug#73046: 29.4; Emacs 100% CPU usage for several seconds when opening dired buffer over TRAMP

From: Michael Albinus <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 13 Sep 2024 17:47:16 +0200

Jake Nelson <[email-masked]> writes:

Hi Jake,

> I had to revert 652a8a0838b38a6eab85c55fc61cedd1c61ef20f
>
> I could load a remote file with via tramp, but attempting to edit the
> file spiked to 100% cpu usage and I had to C-g to recover.

Could you, pls, reenable 652a8a0838b38a6eab85c55fc61cedd1c61ef20f
temporarily? Then recompile Emacs, and run

--8<---------------cut here---------------start------------->8---
# emacs -Q -l tramp --eval '(setq tramp-verbose 10)' /ssh:some-host:/etc/somedir/file.yaml
--8<---------------cut here---------------end--------------->8---

Try to edit the file. When the problem appears, return control by
C-g. Show the resulting *debug tramp/ssh some-host* buffer. Likely, it
is large; you could send it to me directly.

> Thanks,
> Jake

Best regards, Michael.