Subject: bug#73046: 29.4; Emacs 100% CPU usage for several seconds when opening dired buffer over TRAMP

From: Michael Albinus <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 11 Sep 2024 16:13:42 +0200

Suhail Singh <[email-masked]> writes:

Hi Suhail,

>> Tramp used a non-zero timeout in the past. This was removed some years
>> ago, I don't remember the reason.
>
> The timeout in tramp-accept-process-output was disabled in commit
> 54ef338ba3670415cf47fabc33a92d4904707c7e .  The commit mentions
> bug#61350 , however, it's not clear (based on briefly skimming the
> discussion there) that this change was ever necessary.  If not, should
> the timeout be reintroduced?

tramp-accept-process-output has seen several changes over the last 19
years. Some of them with collateral damages in edge cases, which needed
another fix then.

I'm happy it works stable now, and I'm reluctant to touch it w/o urgent
need. That's why I have used the (sit-for 0.005) solution proposed by
Eli, outside tramp-accept-process-output.

Best regards, Michael.