Subject: bug#73037: 31.0.50; fullscreen tooltips break after loading pdf-tools on MacOS

From: Paul Nelson <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 18 Sep 2024 15:50:47 +0200

> Could you please report this to the developers of pdf-tools first, and
> ask them to look into the issue?  If they identify some issue with
> core Emacs functionality, please then come back here with the details,
> or ask them to post those details.
>

Having followed up with pdf-tools, the issue with Emacs is:

  when use-system-tooltips is nil, on macOS, with fullscreen Emacs,
(tooltip-show "hi") creates a new fullscreen frame.

I've tested this on both Emacs 29.4 and a recent master, with Emacs
-Q.  Please let me know if I should report a fresh bug for this, or
leave it here.

---

To make matters even more confusing, the issue does not present if I
run emacs from the src folder (rather than the app folder), even
though the executables are the same:

  cmp -s ~/gnu-emacs/src/emacs
~/gnu-emacs/nextstep/Emacs.app/Contents/MacOS/Emacs

I don't know what to make of this, and I've tried what I could think
of ("make clean", deleting eln-cache).  Any other suggestions would be
welcome.

Thanks, best,

Paul