Subject: [bug#73028] [PATCH] doc: Document usage of #:out-of-source? for meson-build-system.

From: Dariqq <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 19 Sep 2024 14:07:10 +0000

On 14.09.24 15:41, Maxim Cournoyer wrote:
> Hi Dariqq,
> 
> Dariqq <[email-masked]> writes:
> 
>>
>> This does not work. I tried adding that to the arguments in the bag
>> (and reverting the previous patch) but get an error:
>>
>> Unrecognized keyword: #:out-of-source?
>>
>> I guess this is because meson-(cross-)build now get a keyword they
>> don't know.
> 
> Hm.  Thanks for trying it out.
> 
Not an expert on how this works but it looks like when a phase has a 
keyword that is not being passed in by the build-system it is treated as 
#f even if there is no default parameter specified in 
install-license-files function itself.

If there is no easy other way what about leaving the parameter 
undocumented as is? Maybe Ludo can elaborate on what the original 
concern was?

>> Maybe we could replace the install-license-files function with a
>> version that has #:out-of-source? set to #t?. Not sure if there is an
>> elegant way to do this?
> 
> Is this really the only reused phase from gnu-build-system that makes
> use of #:out-of-source?  I'd expect the 'configure' to be one, also.
> And in general it'd be a bit more risky; new gnu-build-system phases
> that would make use of #:out-of-source could start breaking in the
> future until thye are specially handled.
> 

As far as I can see only the configure phase and the 
install-license-phase in gnu-build-system use that parameter. As meson 
overwrites configure with its own it only the install-license-files 
phase uses it.