Subject: bug#73018: 31.0.50; wdired + replace-regexp only modifies the visible portion of the buffer

From: Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 15 Sep 2024 18:02:22 +0300

> From: Stefan Monnier <[email-masked]>
> Cc: [email-masked],  [email-masked],  [email-masked],
>   [email-masked]
> Date: Sun, 15 Sep 2024 09:04:40 -0400
> 
> > Since this is a regression in Emacs 30, I'd like to solve it on the
> > release branch.  Can you suggest the safest fix you can come up with
> > for that purpose?
> 
> Oh, yes: just remove the check.

Whoa!  We had that check there for 9 years, and it was introduced to
avoid crashes (see bug#23869), so removing it now, during a pretest,
is scary.  Frankly, I'd rather revert the offending change which
caused the regression and let Emacs 30 live with bug#65451, which it
was supposed to fix.

And I don't think I understand how a single line you moved in
63588775fcb could cause this check to signal an error in the scenario
of this bug.  Can you explain?