Subject: bug#73018: 31.0.50; wdired + replace-regexp only modifies the visible portion of the buffer

From: Juri Linkov <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 08 Sep 2024 19:28:32 +0300

>> > Maybe this is reproducible only on very long Dired buffers?
>
> After following the recipe literally, I could reproduce that thing, too.
>
> Maybe this issue occurring depends on what exactly is replaced - symlink
> targets.  In this case, (font-lock-ensure) does make a
> difference.
>
> Yesterday I had experimented with replacing in symlink names - in that
> case, the whole buffer had been considered.

I tried this:

(dired "/dev/char")

M-: (buffer-substring (- (point-max) 2) (- (point-max) 1))
=> #("7" 0 1 (fontified nil invisible dired-hide-details-link))

M-> ;; (end-of-buffer)

M-: (buffer-substring (- (point-max) 2) (- (point-max) 1))
=> #("7" 0 1 (face default dired-symlink-filename t fontified t invisible dired-hide-details-link))

And indeed, after going to the end of the Dired buffer
the last file gets an additional property `dired-symlink-filename'
used by Isearch/Replace.

Also noticed that doing the first replacement always raises an error:

Debugger entered--Lisp error: (error "Match data clobbered by buffer modification hooks")
  replace-match("!" nil nil)
  replace-match-maybe-edit("!" nil nil nil (672 673 #<buffer char>) nil)
  perform-replace("7" "!" t t nil nil nil nil nil nil nil)
  query-replace-regexp("7" "!" nil nil nil nil nil)
  funcall-interactively(query-replace-regexp "7" "!" nil nil nil nil nil)
  command-execute(query-replace-regexp)