Subject: bug#73018: 31.0.50; wdired + replace-regexp only modifies the visible portion of the buffer

From: Madhu <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 05 Sep 2024 22:21:40 +0530 (IST)

*  Michael Heerdegen <[email-masked]> <[email-masked]>
Wrote on Thu, 05 Sep 2024 14:12:19 +0200

apparently the autoload cookie fix that i suggested to wdired.el
wdired--before-change-fn (and recompiling) only gets rid of the match
data clobbered error when I have already applied the earlier
font-lock-ensure patch.

also the recipe is flawed, I apologize. [i didn't (require 'cl-lib)
which is required for emacs -Q]

But if you are in a dired buffer looking at /tmp/test-foo with 40
entries of symlinks of the form n -> foo/n This is the behaviour I get
on emacs -q:

1. C-x C-q
2. M-x rep-reg "foo" "bar" RET
;; get a  match data clobbered  error (q), C-c C-k to revert dired
3. M-x load-library "dired" RET  ;;makes the match-data clobbered error go away
4. C-x C-q
5. M-x rep-reg "foo" "bar" RET

I get "Replaced 19 occurrences" and the point ends up on the last
entry, the remaining entries have not been replaced.

I confirmed this twice before posting