Subject: bug#73002: Julia packages are not reproducible

From: Simon Tournier <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 04 Sep 2024 13:00:39 +0200

Hi Ludo,

On Tue, 03 Sep 2024 at 13:56, Ludovic Courtès <[email-masked]> wrote:

> Currently Julia packages, as built with Julia 1.8.3, are not
> reproducible.  Here’s a small sample:

Duplicate with:

        bug#47354: (build-system julia) not reproducible
        zimoun <[email-masked]>
        Wed, 24 Mar 2021 01:37:07 +0100
        id:[email-masked]
        https://issues.guix.gnu.org/47354
        https://issues.guix.gnu.org/msgid/[email-masked]
        https://yhetil.org/guix/[email-masked]

Please also consider:

        bug#22304: Build for Julia is not reproducible
        Ricardo Wurmus <[email-masked]>
        Mon, 04 Jan 2016 17:28:42 +0100
        id:[email-masked]
        https://issues.guix.gnu.org/22304
        https://issues.guix.gnu.org/msgid/[email-masked]
        https://yhetil.org/guix/[email-masked]

Well, IIRC, upstream was not receptive about tackling that problem, see
upstream issue#34753.

    https://github.com/JuliaLang/julia/issues/34753

Somehow, it’s seem the same kind of situation as Guile and
non-reproducible .go. ;-) Tackling the problem implies a deep-dive into
the compiler’s internals that requires a lot of efforts without the help
of core upstream.

Please note that Julia had been removed from Debian on 2022 [1], thus it
does not seem under the radar of ReproducibleBuilds.

Cheers,
simon

1: https://tracker.debian.org/pkg/julia