Subject: bug#72993: 31.0.50; 4f521fa14c18f57e5207bffd68e9f79454dccc79 breaks binding mode hooks in use-package

From: John Wiegley <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 02 Sep 2024 21:37:54 -0700

>>>>> Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]> writes:

>> To reproduce:
>> 
>> (use-package foo
>> :hook (eshell-mode . some-function))
>> 
>> Previously, `use-package' always appended `-hook' to the hook variable name.
>> After 4f521fa14c18f57e5207bffd68e9f79454dccc79, `use-package' only does
>> so if the passed variable name isn't bound. Unfortunately, this breaks
>> binding mode hooks, e.g.:
>> 
>> :hook (some-mode . some-function)
>> 
>> Because `some-mode' is usually bound.

> John, any comments or suggestions?

Sigh, I should have thought of this. There will be many such collisions, in
fact.

Perhaps we should avoid auto -hook’ifying the variable name only if the name
does not already end in ‘-functions’?

What do you think, Eli?

-- 
John Wiegley                  GPG fingerprint = 4710 CF98 AF9B 327B B80F
http://newartisans.com                          60E1 46C4 BD1A 7AC1 4BA2