Subject: Re: bug#72986: Disabling menu-bar-mode changes size of new frames

From: Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 03 Sep 2024 15:07:31 +0300

> Date: Mon, 2 Sep 2024 19:48:57 +0100
> From:  Reuben Thomas via "Bug reports for GNU Emacs,
>  the Swiss army knife of text editors" <[email-masked]>
> 
> Reproduction with Emacs 29.3 (also with git master HEAD, see below).
> 
> Run: emacs -Q
> C-x 5 2 ; window opens the same size as the initial window
> M-x menu-bar-mode RET ; disable menu-bar-mode
> C-x 52 ; window opens much smaller than initial window
> 
> With master HEAD (commit 92ea393a16e), the situation is slightly different:
> 
> Run: emacs -Q
> C-x 52 ; window opens much smaller than initial window

I cannot reproduce this, but I'm not on X.  Here on MS-Windows,
disabling menu-bar-mode makes the frames one line smaller, and
thereafter "C-x 5 2" creates frames whose dimensions are exactly
identical to the existing frames.  As expected.

I see the above both in Emacs 29, on the current emacs-30 release
branch, and on master.

> I'm running on Ubuntu 24.04, under GNOME 46 with X11. I don't have any Emacs X resources set.

You didn't say which toolkit did you build with.  It might be
important.

Adding Martin and Po Lu in the hope that they will have comments
and/or suggestions.