Subject: bug#72986: Disabling menu-bar-mode changes size of new frames

From: Reuben Thomas <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 6 Sep 2024 16:14:50 +0100

On Fri, 6 Sept 2024 at 15:16, martin rudalics <[email-masked]> wrote:

>
> OK.  In the next step I'd like to isolate the menubar code as the sole
> culprit for what's going in.  Please with master do
>
> (setq default-frame-alist '((width . 200)))
>

It takes effect on the initial frame, but doesn't affect the size of the
frame opened with C-x 5 2, or remove the gtk error message:

(emacs:2091071): Gtk-CRITICAL **: 15:57:43.714:
gtk_distribute_natural_allocation: assertion 'extra_space >= 0' failed

(Just to confirm: I put this setting in early-init.el.)

I then applied the trivial patch you gave to git master HEAD, ran 'emacs
-Q' and did C-x 5 2, and got a small window as usual, but with no error
message in the terminal.

-- 
https://rrt.sc3d.org