Subject: bug#72986: Disabling menu-bar-mode changes size of new frames

From: Reuben Thomas <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 6 Sep 2024 13:20:32 +0100

On Fri, 6 Sept 2024 at 10:50, martin rudalics <[email-masked]> wrote:

>  > Buffer contents for master HEAD after C-x 5 2:
>
> I can't figure out what's going on.

I couldn't make sense of the results I sent either, so I re-ran the tests.

Buffer contents after C-x 5 2 with commit 24161683102 reverted:

Frame size history of #<frame  *Minibuf-1* 0x5b1397209180>
x_create_frame_1 (5), TS=80x25~>1280x875, NS=80x25~>1296x875,
IS=80x25~>1296x875, MS=32x70 IH IV
gui_figure_window_size (5), TS=1280x875~>1280x1260, TC=80x25~>80x36,
NS=1296x875~>1296x1260, IS=1296x875~>1296x1260, MS=32x70 IH IV
scroll-bar-width (3), NS=1296x1260~>1328x1260, IS=1296x1260~>1328x1260,
MS=160x175
scroll-bar-height (3), MS=160x175
menu-bar-lines (2), MS=160x175
x_create_frame_2 (0), MS=160x175
xg_frame_set_char_size, invisible, PS=1328x1260, XS=1328x1260, DS=1328x1260
xg_frame_set_char_size (5), MS=32x70 IH IV
menu-bar-lines (2), MS=160x175
xg_frame_set_char_size, invisible, PS=1328x1260, XS=1328x1260, DS=1328x1260
xg_frame_set_char_size (5), MS=32x70 IH IV
x_make_frame_visible
MapNotify, not hidden & not iconified, PS=1328x1260, DS=1328x1260
ConfigureNotify, PS=1328x1260, XS=400x322, DS=1328x1260
xg_frame_resized, changed, PS=1328x1260, XS=400x322
change_frame_size_1, delayed, PS=1328x1260, XS=400x322, DS=1328x1260
ConfigureNotify, PS=1328x1260, XS=1328x1258, DS=400x322
xg_frame_resized, changed, PS=1328x1260, XS=1328x1258, DS=400x322
change_frame_size_1, delayed, PS=1328x1260, XS=1328x1258, DS=400x322
tool-bar-lines (2), NS=1328x1260~>1328x1258, MS=160x175
xg_frame_set_char_size, visible, PS=1328x1260, XS=1328x1258, DS=1328x1258
ConfigureNotify, PS=1328x1260, XS=1328x1258, DS=1328x1258
xg_frame_resized, changed, PS=1328x1260, XS=1328x1258, DS=1328x1258
change_frame_size_1, delayed, PS=1328x1260, XS=1328x1258, DS=1328x1258
change_frame_size (5), TS=1280x1260~>1280x1258, TC=80x36~>80x35,
NS=1328x1260~>1328x1258, IS=1328x1260~>1328x1258, MS=32x70 IH IV
set_window_configuration (4), MS=160x175 IH IV

With git master HEAD:

Frame size history of #<frame  *Minibuf-1* 0x5e9870140918>
x_create_frame_1 (5), TS=80x25~>1280x875, NS=80x25~>1296x875,
IS=80x25~>1296x875, MS=32x70 IH IV
gui_figure_window_size (5), TS=1280x875~>1280x1260, TC=80x25~>80x36,
NS=1296x875~>1296x1260, IS=1296x875~>1296x1260, MS=32x70 IH IV
scroll-bar-width (3), NS=1296x1260~>1328x1260, IS=1296x1260~>1328x1260,
MS=160x175
scroll-bar-height (3), MS=160x175
menu-bar-lines (2), MS=160x175
x_create_frame_2 (0), MS=160x175
xg_frame_set_char_size, invisible, PS=1328x1260, XS=1328x1260, DS=1328x1260
xg_frame_set_char_size (5), MS=32x70 IH IV
x_make_frame_visible
MapNotify, not hidden & not iconified, PS=1328x1260, DS=1328x1260
ConfigureNotify, PS=1328x1260, XS=400x340, DS=1328x1260
xg_frame_resized, changed, PS=1328x1260, XS=400x340
change_frame_size_1, delayed, PS=1328x1260, XS=400x340, DS=1328x1260
tool-bar-lines (2), NS=1328x1260~>400x340, MS=160x175
xg_frame_set_char_size, visible, PS=1328x1260, XS=400x340, DS=400x340
ConfigureNotify, PS=1328x1260, XS=400x340, DS=400x340
xg_frame_resized, changed, PS=1328x1260, XS=400x340, DS=400x340
change_frame_size_1, delayed, PS=1328x1260, XS=400x340, DS=400x340
change_frame_size (5), TS=1280x1260~>352x340, TC=80x36~>22x9,
NS=1328x1260~>400x340, IS=1328x1260~>400x340, MS=32x70 IH IV
ConfigureNotify, PS=400x340, XS=400x374
xg_frame_resized, changed, PS=400x340, XS=400x374
change_frame_size_1, delayed, PS=400x340, XS=400x374
change_frame_size (5), TS=352x340~>352x374, TC=22x9~>22x10,
NS=400x340~>400x374, IS=400x340~>400x374, MS=32x70 IH IV
set_window_configuration (4), MS=160x175 IH IV

Now the change_frame_size(5) initial and final sizes look correct.

-- 
https://rrt.sc3d.org