Subject: Re: bug#72986: Disabling menu-bar-mode changes size of new frames

From: Reuben Thomas <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 6 Sep 2024 09:11:58 +0100

On Fri, 6 Sept 2024 at 08:54, martin rudalics <[email-masked]> wrote:

>
> Inexplicable to me.  Please conduct both runs once more.  But rather
> than using the debugger simply evaluate
>
> (setq frame-size-history '(100))
>
> in the initial frame, do C-x 5 2, evaluate
>
> (frame--size-history)
>
> and post the contents of the the buffer *frame-size-history* for each
> run here.  Maybe we can see some difference then.

Buffer contents for master HEAD after C-x 5 2:

Frame size history of #<frame  *Minibuf-1* 0x5a93cc9332e8>
x_create_frame_1 (5), TS=80x25~>1280x875, NS=80x25~>1296x875,
IS=80x25~>1296x875, MS=32x70 IH IV
gui_figure_window_size (5), TS=1280x875~>1280x1260, TC=80x25~>80x36,
NS=1296x875~>1296x1260, IS=1296x875~>1296x1260, MS=32x70 IH IV
scroll-bar-width (3), NS=1296x1260~>1328x1260, IS=1296x1260~>1328x1260,
MS=160x175
scroll-bar-height (3), MS=160x175
menu-bar-lines (2), MS=160x175
x_create_frame_2 (0), MS=160x175
xg_frame_set_char_size, invisible, PS=1328x1260, XS=1328x1260, DS=1328x1260
xg_frame_set_char_size (5), MS=32x70 IH IV
x_make_frame_visible
MapNotify, not hidden & not iconified, PS=1328x1260, DS=1328x1260
ConfigureNotify, PS=1328x1260, XS=400x340, DS=1328x1260
xg_frame_resized, changed, PS=1328x1260, XS=400x340
change_frame_size_1, delayed, PS=1328x1260, XS=400x340, DS=1328x1260
tool-bar-lines (2), NS=1328x1260~>400x340, MS=160x175
xg_frame_set_char_size, visible, PS=1328x1260, XS=400x340, DS=400x340
ConfigureNotify, PS=1328x1260, XS=400x340, DS=400x340
xg_frame_resized, changed, PS=1328x1260, XS=400x340, DS=400x340
change_frame_size_1, delayed, PS=1328x1260, XS=400x340, DS=400x340
change_frame_size (5), TS=1280x1260~>352x340, TC=80x36~>22x9,
NS=1328x1260~>400x340, IS=1328x1260~>400x340, MS=32x70 IH IV
ConfigureNotify, PS=400x340, XS=400x374
xg_frame_resized, changed, PS=400x340, XS=400x374
change_frame_size_1, delayed, PS=400x340, XS=400x374
change_frame_size (5), TS=352x340~>352x374, TC=22x9~>22x10,
NS=400x340~>400x374, IS=400x340~>400x374, MS=32x70 IH IV
ConfigureNotify, PS=400x374, XS=1280x1354
xg_frame_resized, changed, PS=400x374, XS=1280x1354
change_frame_size_1, delayed, PS=400x374, XS=1280x1354
change_frame_size (5), TS=352x374~>1232x1354, TC=22x10~>77x38,
NS=400x374~>1280x1354, IS=400x374~>1280x1354, MS=32x70 IH IV
set_window_configuration (4), MS=160x175 IH IV

And again, but with commit 24161683102 reverted:

Frame size history of #<frame  *Minibuf-1* 0x5f6dbd4449c0>
x_create_frame_1 (5), TS=80x25~>1280x875, NS=80x25~>1296x875,
IS=80x25~>1296x875, MS=32x70 IH IV
gui_figure_window_size (5), TS=1280x875~>1280x1260, TC=80x25~>80x36,
NS=1296x875~>1296x1260, IS=1296x875~>1296x1260, MS=32x70 IH IV
scroll-bar-width (3), NS=1296x1260~>1328x1260, IS=1296x1260~>1328x1260,
MS=160x175
scroll-bar-height (3), MS=160x175
menu-bar-lines (2), MS=160x175
x_create_frame_2 (0), MS=160x175
xg_frame_set_char_size, invisible, PS=1328x1260, XS=1328x1260, DS=1328x1260
xg_frame_set_char_size (5), MS=32x70 IH IV
menu-bar-lines (2), MS=160x175
xg_frame_set_char_size, invisible, PS=1328x1260, XS=1328x1260, DS=1328x1260
xg_frame_set_char_size (5), MS=32x70 IH IV
x_make_frame_visible
MapNotify, not hidden & not iconified, PS=1328x1260, DS=1328x1260
ConfigureNotify, PS=1328x1260, XS=400x322, DS=1328x1260
xg_frame_resized, changed, PS=1328x1260, XS=400x322
change_frame_size_1, delayed, PS=1328x1260, XS=400x322, DS=1328x1260
change_frame_size (5), TS=1280x1260~>352x322, TC=80x36~>22x9,
NS=1328x1260~>400x322, IS=1328x1260~>400x322, MS=32x70 IH IV
ConfigureNotify, PS=400x322, XS=1328x1258
xg_frame_resized, changed, PS=400x322, XS=1328x1258
change_frame_size_1, delayed, PS=400x322, XS=1328x1258
tool-bar-lines (2), NS=400x322~>1328x1258, MS=160x175
xg_frame_set_char_size, visible, PS=400x322, XS=1328x1258, DS=1328x1258
ConfigureNotify, PS=400x322, XS=1328x1258, DS=1328x1258
xg_frame_resized, changed, PS=400x322, XS=1328x1258, DS=1328x1258
change_frame_size_1, delayed, PS=400x322, XS=1328x1258, DS=1328x1258
change_frame_size (5), TS=352x322~>1280x1258, TC=22x9~>80x35,
NS=400x322~>1328x1258, IS=400x322~>1328x1258, MS=32x70 IH IV
set_window_configuration (4), MS=160x175 IH IV

-- 
https://rrt.sc3d.org