Subject: bug#72986: Disabling menu-bar-mode changes size of new frames

From: Reuben Thomas <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 3 Sep 2024 18:29:00 +0100

On Tue, 3 Sept 2024 at 18:03, martin rudalics <[email-masked]> wrote:

>  > Sure thing:
>
> Thanks.  The geometry values are consistent with what you described.
> This seems to be Bug#67654 and Bug#68463 and possibly Bug#65559.  When
> you run Emacs from a console or under gdb can you observe whether it
> triggers a
>
> gtk_distribute_natural_allocation: assertion 'extra_space >= 0' failed
>

Yes, both with Emacs 29 and git master produce this message when
menu-bar-mode is non-nil, and the menu bar is drawn, in both window sizes
(the normal sized window, and the strangely small one).

The one really notable difference to the above bugs is that the 29
> version makes a shrunk frame only after you've removed the menubar while
> master makes a shrunk frame immediately.  Are the GTK versions of the
> Emacs 29 build and the master build the same?
>

Yes, they are identical: gtk 3.24.41, Ubuntu build.

Just to make sure one thing: Would setting
> 'frame-resize-pixelwise' to t change anything?
>

So, I did (setq frame-resize-pixelwise t), then disabled menu-bar-mode (in
Emacs 29), then C-x 5 2 (in both Emacs 29 & git master), and the new window
was small, just as before. It seems therefore to make no difference.

Otherwise I would try to build Emacs with gtk2, lucid or motif.

I tried building Emacs git master with gtk2, and it doesn't fix the
problem: the second window opened is slightly smaller than before (i.e.
very small indeed).

Building with lucid does fix the problem (both with menu-bar-mode enabled,
and disabled).

-- 
https://rrt.sc3d.org