Subject: Re: bug#72986: Disabling menu-bar-mode changes size of new frames

From: Reuben Thomas <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 16 Nov 2024 14:45:58 +0000

On Sat, 16 Nov 2024 at 08:59, martin rudalics <[email-masked]> wrote:

>
> That sounds too good to be true.  Let's try to take a step back.  With a
> pristine, unpatched emacs -Q, when you do C-x 5 2, the new frame opens
> much smaller than the initial frame.  With a patched emacs -Q, when you
> do C-x 5 2, the new frame window opens just as large as the initial
> frame.  Is that description correct?
>

Yes.

And you do not see a behavior where the new frame is very small
> initially and only then resizes to the final appearance?  And if you
> turn off the menu bars, the new frame opens as large as the initial
> frame minus the height of the menu bar?
>

Sorry, I had forgotten about the instantaneous resizing. So yes, with the
patched Emacs, I get this resizing, if my eyes don't deceive me (it is very
fast).

And indeed, when I turn off menu bars, the second frame still opens small,
even with the patch.

If the answer to all these is yes, then what was the patch?  Just that
> recent one where I set the natural sizes in emacsgtkfixed.c to 800x600?
> Or do you have applied some patch I sent earlier?
>

I am referring to your gtkutil-frame-2.diff of October 6th.

So anyway, what I'm really trying to understand is just in simple terms
what tests you'd like me to run next.

-- 
https://rrt.sc3d.org