Subject: Re: bug#72986: Disabling menu-bar-mode changes size of new frames

From: martin rudalics <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 16 Nov 2024 09:59:00 +0100

> As I understand it, I see shrinking with
 > every new window in an unpatched Emacs, and with your recent patch, I don't
 > see shrinking; as I previously said, for me currently, bad == unpatched and
 > good == patched. Does that sound right?

That sounds too good to be true.  Let's try to take a step back.  With a
pristine, unpatched emacs -Q, when you do C-x 5 2, the new frame opens
much smaller than the initial frame.  With a patched emacs -Q, when you
do C-x 5 2, the new frame window opens just as large as the initial
frame.  Is that description correct?

And you do not see a behavior where the new frame is very small
initially and only then resizes to the final appearance?  And if you
turn off the menu bars, the new frame opens as large as the initial
frame minus the height of the menu bar?

If the answer to all these is yes, then what was the patch?  Just that
recent one where I set the natural sizes in emacsgtkfixed.c to 800x600?
Or do you have applied some patch I sent earlier?

martin